Super Cedar Fire Starters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Used my free samples and just ordered a 100 more.... they work great. Nice to have when you dont feel like dealing with the hassle of a tough to light fire.

BTW - Great marketing strategy offering free samples on this forum. I gotta believe the cost of the free samples is minimal compared to the orders it generates. Smart move.

Just ordered a case of 72 Super Cedars... I was also sold after the free samples.

I've tried the cedars and fatwood and a variety of products for fire starters.... But then it occurred to me, why pay for a product when a couple of sheets of crumpled newspaper will get me to the same place, a nice warm fire.

Got Wood said:
Used my free samples and just ordered a 100 more...
How did you manage to get 100 MORE free samples? How do they stay in business if they give away a 100 free samples?

I got tired of using newspaper. Super Cedars are the best thing since split wood. 1/4 puck and some kindling & I'm off to the races. Because of the way we burn, and the fact that we burn softwood exclusively, I'm basically starting from cold every morning. Super Cedars make quick & easy work of it. I love 'em! Rick

I have totally gone away from paper, using these exclusively. I break them into 6 pieces (break in zip lock bag). Starting a fire is so easy with these... I lay out 2 flat surface pieces, place the cedar starter on them, light it, then add kindling to get it going then add on some splits...and she's off and running in no time.

Another thought, not sure if there is any validity to this or not... while reading in the Heart forum I read that newspaper can contribute to igniting/causing shimmney fires. Can it then be deduced that using cedar starters is safer? Not sure... I'm sure others way more knowledgable can comment

They work well, but they really aren't much different than the StarterLogggggggggggggggggg brand ones(which are a step above the durastarts). Although I would need to do a cost comparison to be sure, I break the Starterlogggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggs into four pieces as well, and I can get them locally and on sale. I think they are cheaper. While I like to support someone of the community, and I appreciate the free sample, I very well realize that those free samples are probably the best marketing that company has gotten so far, and I'm not going to pay double for the same product, plus shipping.

For the record, I haven't bought any StarterLogggggg brand starters in a long time, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.