Super Cedar Free Samples/Discount Code

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOVE these things. I'm still working on a box from last burning a season.

As others have already mentioned, when I get home for work during the shoulder season, I load the stove up, full. Light super cedar in the lower part of the load right near the air outlet, and, fire away!

Almost as easy as hitting the "on" switch on a heater!

I found out that they are dandy for firing up the BBQ quickly too.

Reactions: NWfuel
Just ordered a 100 case of these, should be a great addition to my firestarting arsenal. Haven't had any trouble with fatwood, but these are a better deal.

Also 15-16% MC for wood in New Jersey has to be right around equilibrium. That's very dry wood in a rather wet climate. Definitely prime for burning.

For anyone thinking about buying these, you may as well get the largest amount you can to save a little money in the long run, because you will continue to use them.

I'm pretty frugal and usually use 1/4 disc, but you can often get away with less. Hope Thomas doesn't mind my saying that;)

Beats the heck out of newspaper.

Even using the Lopi GreenStart Wood Ignitor looks like a lot of work compared to using a SC.
I'd like to see some user reviews of that system some time. Seems kind of gimmicky to me, but I'm open minded.

Beats the heck out of newspaper.

So do I still need to use the newspaper to get the cold air/draft out of the chimney if I use the super cedar?
I got the newspaper smoke back feed to my room 1 in 3 times when I start the fire. :-(

No need to use newspaper if there is a supercedar going in.

So do I still need to use the newspaper to get the cold air/draft out of the chimney if I use the super cedar?
I got the newspaper smoke back feed to my room 1 in 3 times when I start the fire. :-(
You shouldn't. If you are having a problem with weak draft at the beginning of a fire, you may want to try a "top-down" approach with the heavier fuels on the bottom, then the cedars, then some kindling on top of that, then close the door after lighting. The super cedar starter will get the kindling going hot enough to get a draft going, like paper would, but better. The fire then spreads downward. That works well for a lot of people.

I never keep the door open after lighting. Full open on the throttle should supply plenty of air until you want to turn it down. Yes, it may get a bit smokey inside at first, but that should dissipate. YMMV as always.

Last edited:
Reactions: pen
You shouldn't. If you are having a problem with weak draft at the beginning of a fire, you may want to try a "top-down" approach with the heavier fuels on the bottom, then the cedars, then some kindling on top of that, then close the door after lighting. The super cedar starter will get the kindling going hot enough to get a draft going, like paper would, but better. The fire then spreads downward. That works well for a lot of people.

I never keep the door open after lighting. Full open on the throttle should supply plenty of air until you want to turn it down. Yes, it may get a bit smokey inside at first, but that should dissipate. YMMV as always.

Thanks for the info. I will give your method a try when I get it.

FWIW - I always cracked the door a bit (a certain sweet spot) on my stove to get the fire going - that was before trying the supercedar product. So far this year I've lit 2 fires using 1/4 supercedar each time. In both cases I lit it and closed the door. The 1st time I tried it, the fire started super clean. The 2nd time, as Sprinter mentioned might happen, there was a tiny bit of smoke at first, then it was rolling along hot in no time. I believe the only reason it was a bit smokey that 2nd time is because I tossed a bit of a sizzler in the mix (go figure, 2nd fire of the season - my bad). I burned a couple of very small dead-standing maple branches that seemed dry as tinder - but when the heat came up a tiny bit of moisture boiled out the end of one of them.

In either case, all I had to do was adjust the air once the temps came up, as usual.

I got my order of 100 earlier this week and have used them to "start" three fires so far. Is it possible I got a bad batch? Whether I have the door closed or cracked, I get a small/moderate flame for 3 or so minutes, then my Super Cedars just go out, leaving me with smoldering kindling and a firebox full of smoke. Maybe it's because of all the hype on here but I am honestly extremely disappointed with this product. Fatwood burns significantly hotter and longer for me than even 1/2 of a Super Cedar.

I have tried building top down and traditional "bottom up" fires with the same results, short lived, poor burn that can't even ignite tiny, very dry kindling, birch bark and small lodgepole pine splits.

Something is wrong for sure. I have used them for several seasons and they take off like gangbusters for me every time. What stove, chimney setup and wood are you using here.

I got my order of 100 earlier this week and have used them to "start" three fires so far. Is it possible I got a bad batch? Whether I have the door closed or cracked, I get a small/moderate flame for 3 or so minutes, then my Super Cedars just go out, leaving me with smoldering kindling and a firebox full of smoke. Maybe it's because of all the hype on here but I am honestly extremely disappointed with this product. Fatwood burns significantly hotter and longer for me than even 1/2 of a Super Cedar.

I have tried building top down and traditional "bottom up" fires with the same results, short lived, poor burn that can't even ignite tiny, very dry kindling, birch bark and small lodgepole pine splits.

Dang, haven't heard of this happening ever!

Sounds like poor draft. Were you able to get your draft problems worked out?

Sounds like poor draft. Were you able to get your draft problems worked out?

Take an old pie plate and throw a similar piece in it and burn it out in the yard and see if anything is different.

Reactions: BrotherBart
The fact that my draft isn't the strongest may contribute, but prior to using Super Cedars I had very little trouble getting top down or bottom-up fires started using 2 pieces of fatwood. I was expecting the Cedars to be an upgrade over the fatwood, but thus far they have performed significantly worse.

I will be doing modifications to improve my draft a bit this weekend. I should light one off in my fire pit to see how it burns there, but I am surprised. Last night I even positioned the Cedar on a raised bed of sticks so it had airflow from the underside as well, lit two corners of it, watched it burn for a couple minutes, then smolder, smoke and eventually go out.

Wow, the air sounds even thinner than I thought. Try it out of the stove like Pen suggested. I have never had one of these go out and can start some pretty sizable splits of fir with them alone.

something ain't right there. let us know the results

Yeah, I'll do some testing this evening when I'm home from work. I do believe these are as good as everyone claims, there are just too many rave reviews, but mine haven't been delivering on the hype. Once they go out I can break them up with a poker and they glow, smolder and might send off a few flickering flames, then they just go right back to producing a lot of smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.