Super Cedar Sample Success

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

szmaine

Jul 13, 2009
Mid-Coast Maine
Got the free Super Cedar samples the other day and tried it for the first time tonight.
I had started recently trying the top down method of fire starting which has been fine - so I set up my usual configuration minus the newspaper bows.
Brought one of the Cedars in the shed and used the hatchet to quarter it - easier and dryer (crumblier) than I though it would be.
Took one of the smaller quarters tossed it on top, said " Hmmph. Yeah, right."
One match later she was off and running. Very impressive!
Will I buy more? I don't know - I'm pretty cheap.

How it go for you?

Same success I had last week doing top down with them. I am hooked. Not quite as fast a start-up of the draft but not bad at all. I have never in my thirty four years of heating with wood purchased a single fire starter but I think that just changed. Some will depend on what the chimney looks like when I check it out around Christmas time. With the paper bows and top down it was always in great shape. Many times more than most folks I have two start ups a day and that can really crud up a chimney.

Yes, I went looking for your thread on that so I could post there but it was too far gone...Did you buy some?
If anybody did, please tell what price you payed for how many.

I bought a box of 100 (400 when quartered)--as far as I'm concerned, the price is reasonable, they work better than anything else I've ever tried (Fatwood, Rutland squares, newspaper, those ball-shaped ones), and the company has been great to work with, so I'll continue to use them ad infinitum!

Been usin' them for a couple of burning seasons now. I'll never again mess with newspaper to start either of my stoves. Wife and I both love the SuperCedars. We typically start two stoves from cold every morning during the burning season. A box of 100 SuperCedars yields 400 starts (which is about a year's worth for us, depending on the weather, of course). Works out to be like 16 cents per start. No tearing, storing, crumpling or tying newspaper. For 16 cents, I consider it a heck of a good deal. Fire's up and running in no time, every time. No need to shop around, they come straight from the factory, shipping included in the price. And, man is the shipping quick! Best thing since split wood. Other than that, I have no strong feelings about them one way or another. %-P Rick

Ja, I got my free sample today as well. I of course had to try a top down fire since I had no joy using paper my first time. I was having a bit of performance anxiety so I just split it in half. It worked quite well. Didn't need to nurse it along at all, just toss in a match and close the door.

I'm a bit if a tight wad but at the 100 pack volume price for a year's supply, it pretty much a no brainer. I just need to figure out how much the shipping is to Canada. Thomas was supposed to get me Vanessa's phone number so I can see about buying from her.

LLigetfa said:
I'm a bit if a tight wad but at the 100 pack volume price for a year's supply, it pretty much a no brainer. I just need to figure out how much the shipping is to Canada. Thomas was supposed to get me Vanessa's phone number so I can see about buying from her.

The website for the shop Embers isn't available. Don't know if that is temporary or if she just does the stove distribution company now. The phone number for the shop in Perth, Ontario is/was (613) 264-0878.

Looks like http://www.embers.on.ca/ is back up. Thanks for the info.

Today I got another top down fire going. Easy as pie. Only used a quarter of a SuperCedar this time.

Are all SuperCedars shrink wrapped or just the free samples? I'm hoping not as I hate putting plastic in landfill.

LLigetfa said:
Looks like http://www.embers.on.ca/ is back up. Thanks for the info.

Today I got another top down fire going. Easy as pie. Only used a quarter of a SuperCedar this time.

Are all SuperCedars shrink wrapped or just the free samples? I'm hoping not as I hate putting plastic in landfill.

LLigetfa, We do sell them without wrappers (Green style), 72 count only. Lara can quote if your interested. Thanks for giving them a try and for your feedback.

Thomas

They changed my life. No, I'm not being dramatic.

I bought a box of 100, and break each one into quarters. I think I paid $65 or something like that. Well worth it, if you ask me.

I load up the stove with 6 or 7 splits, oriented North/South. I tuck a quarter of a SuperCedar down toward the bottom between two of the splits, nudge it back a ways with my long-nosed lighter, and light it. The only thing I have to worry about is making sure that my splits aren't packed so tight that the fire can't find its way up through them.

~40 minutes later, the stove is cruising along with the air damped back.

I don't mess around with newspaper anymore. I don't even bother with the whole top down thing anymore.

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.