Super ceders under water now what

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mroverkill

Feeling the Heat
Aug 10, 2010
Northern nj
overkillauto.com
I bought a friend of mine a box of supers last year for x mas well we had the storm and his basement got flooded. Are they ok after being flooded for a week ? he brought me one and it looks likes its going to come apart if i take it out of the plastic. It sucks he never got to use them looks like i might be buying him a box as a way to cheer him up

I never tried soaking one but I'd probably take it out of the plastic, let it dry out then see how it does. No harm in trying - let us know as I'm sure there are lots of curious folks here now.

awaiting our friend from supercedars to see this and im sure he will have a comment on what to do, in the mean time, as i recall they have a waxy feel to them im wondering if they were able to be air dried if they would actually retain their shape and eventually be usable. or maybe drying using a heat source however it would need to be a very low heat im guessing.

just some thoughts

Light one still in the plastic and see what happens.

Reactions: milleo and jeff_t
IF you can get them to dry, I can't see wood and wax getting hurt. Did they swell right up?

How long should we season a supercedar? Need a moisture meter reading on them? Just kidding.... I bet they still work fine, might need to take wrapper off and let them air out a bit. Probably more brittle. Only one way to find out though....give it a shot and see

worse case scenario, unwrap them, let them fall apart into a big plastic tote, let them dry out, then have a whole ton of what BB calls "Pixie Dust" to use.

pen

They should dry out okay. What the heck, you can light one and set it on water and it will continue to burn! Have some fun with it but Thomas will be chiming in on this one soon I'll bet.

Id let them dry then give them a shot, unless they are crumbled up into crumbs. Wood burns fine after it driers.:p

Just pile all of them into a pyramid in your woodstove and light them...they'll dry right out!

P.S. In the interest of homeowner safety, do not implement this humorously-intended recommendation.

Reactions: milleo
Don't let him forget to put them on the insurance claim.

Reactions: milleo
my worry that havent told him yet is the unknown that was in the water you know the dirty water

Get one of these. >>

Tupperware-Hamburger-Press.jpg

my worry that havent told him yet is the unknown that was in the water you know the dirty water

Well, if it was that kind of flood water, what to do with them is a no-brainer.

pen

Well, if it was that kind of flood water, what to do with them is a no-brainer.

Yeah - pile them up in the firepit and let-em rip :)

and he was soooo looking forward to trying these. Im gonna see if there are any sales coming up so i can suprise him with a box

and he was soooo looking forward to trying these. Im gonna see if there are any sales coming up so i can suprise him with a box

I will be happy to send out a free box. Let us know what size case he had. As for the starters I have left them out in the weather for a year and they turned black. They still started my fires though. Light one and let us know, the wood should be protected by the paraffin, and the paraffin does shed water. Why its bloated might just be the plastic in survival mode. They werer getting ready to float on out of there.

Thomas

thomas i couldnt accept a free box il pm you and go from there

So it was decided (by my wife) that we wernt going to chance having them burned in the stove and all so i gave him a bunch of ss that i had and a load dry wood so he can warm up the house. the good thing is now it made me order this years supply of ss now LOL

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I will be happy to send out a free box. Let us know what size case he had. As for the starters I have left them out in the weather for a year and they turned black. They still started my fires though. Light one and let us know, the wood should be protected by the paraffin, and the paraffin does shed water. Why its bloated might just be the plastic in survival mode. They werer getting ready to float on out of there.

Thomas

Another reason -- as if I needed any -- as to why I will most likely continue to buy Super Cedars each Fall . . . even if I continue to also burn kindling, pine cones, etc.

You probably already knew this Thomas . . . but you're a class act . . . and many of us haven't forgotten what you did in the wake of Katrina either.

Status
Not open for further replies.