"Super Moon" ... Harvest Moon, Blood Moon and Eclipse all in one night!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lake Girl

Nov 12, 2011
NW Ontario
A shot of the super moon tonight ... after the eclipse. Can't take credit - my daughter took the photo. Would have been easier if we had grabbed the tripod too;em

Attachments

• blood moon 032.JPG
    blood moon 032.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 170
Reactions: Wisneaky
Gave it a shot too.
Last one I metered for color priority over image sharpness.

DSC_7226.JPG DSC_7235.JPG DSC_7281.JPG

wished I could have been on the East Coast shore to catch the moonrise
the weather should have been nice for it.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Photos were an afterthought here and I/We haven't taken the time to learn my camera... Your photos are so much better! Beautiful fall night though ... even the cat enjoyed the walk down to the government dock here==c He's never far away from Mama if she's outside.

Got some good shots of the moon rise and sun set, but nothing worth a cent of the actual eclipse. Sort of lost my 'reference horizon' in the dark and couldn't hold the camera still while bobbing around in the kayak.
moonrise3.jpeg moonrise2.jpeg sunset.jpg moonrise.jpeg

And I thought we had it tough in the dark on land;lol;lol Cooling enough at night I don't know as I'd try our kayaks... dog's not fond of the water either and she'd up-end us for sure.

It was just barely over the treeline when the eclipse started. Caught these with my wife's 5 year old DSLR on the tripod with a 300mm tele. The fastest f stop and 800 iso got me about an 8 second exposure.... if I'd had a remote trigger it might have helped sharpen it up a bit.

I tried a 30 second long expose on a slower F stop and it was way too blurrry... probably need an astronomical tracking mount to make that work?

moon.jpg moon2.jpg

30 second exposure:
DSC_7279.JPG
earth is spinning way too fast. :)
I used a D80 and a 70-300 zoom at 300mm f5.6 @ 2 sec ISO800 while the moon was in full shadow/ISO100 while sun lit, full sun daylight white balance.

I noticed blur at 4 sec, really noticeable blur at 8 sec
I used the camera's timer to overcome tripod shake and a long delay after mirror up to eliminate mirror bounce.
I should have put some sandbags on the tripod legs. Even with them only extended half way and me sitting on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.