SUPER SCORE years of wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico1986

Oct 18, 2013
Shirley ny
After 20-30 calls and emails to tree service companies was able to get a grapple truck load for FREE delivered to my house. Was so excited started to cut to size have small stack working now hoping to get all cut to size before it gets to cold so it's ready for spring splitting. First time ever doing this I suggest all that can handle such a big load in there yard to try it can't beat it the owner was more than happy to drop off and has already offered more I will be taking one more load in a week and probably another come spring time. My father in law heats his house with a stove but has a small yard so he couldn't get a delivery but I'm getting enough for the both of us he has the equipment to process everything so gonna process everything at my house and bring finish product to him he lives close to me. I gave the driver a $20 for lunch or some drinks he was very happy. For anyone in Long Island New York give this guy a call he has so much he needs to get rid of hope someone can get a load like I did and heat there house. I live in Suffolk county not sure how far he goes but he's located in patchouge good luck all. (631) 291-7010 ask for Dave he's an ex navy guy very nice. image.jpg image.jpg Also anyone have some tips on streamlining this process

Wow ..! thats awesome Nico, good for you and Pops ! ;)

Time for some cutting, splitting, and stacking :cool:

Yes maybe to much cutting hopefully will have it all cut to size in couple weeks can't wait to see it all stacked next year

My god, I'm jealous. Try asking some tree service out here for wood. They say "yup we got wood for $250 a cord".

My god, I'm jealous. Try asking some tree service out here for wood. They say "yup we got wood for $250 a cord".
Where do u live ?I literally emailed and called over 20 places lots said no or wanted money I was determined to find someone that would drop for free. Took about 3-4 hours within a weeks time but well worth the time. I have about 21/2 cords seasoned now only have a fireplace but getting a insert later this month so I'm happy to be getting ahead on wood now.

Looks like you have a few hollow logs in the pile. Free and delivered grapple Load would never happen in these parts. Nice score!

Where do u live ?I literally emailed and called over 20 places lots said no or wanted money I was determined to find someone that would drop for free. Took about 3-4 hours within a weeks time but well worth the time. I have about 21/2 cords seasoned now only have a fireplace but getting a insert later this month so I'm happy to be getting ahead on wood now.
Nobody gives away firewood in the west to my knowledge. Perhaps in Seattle or Portland where there is a high volume of trees being cut in the cities. Firewood is just too hard to come by here in the moderately urban areas. I have to drive about 60-70 miles one way for firewood. That is just the way it is out here I guess.

Yes there is two logs with a bit of rot. Wow that is crazy to travel that far for wood is it cost effective at that point. Do u burn to heat or just ambiance. I would have thought that out west there would be more wood at the ready to be had.

Also anyone have some tips on streamlining this process

Welcome to the club. :) Looks like a lot of oak and is that first log mullberry? I wouldn't fret about the hollow logs or rot. Its not like you paid for it.

You will figure out a system that works for you real quick. Couple things I would suggest are getting a peavy or cant hook if you dont have one allready. It will help you roll the big logs around. Also a plain old 5' pry bar is magic for peeling and prying those logs apart. Other thing you should think of doing with the next load is getting the wood put up on stringers. Have him lay some of the smaller logs perpendicular before putting down the big ones. (I have a bunch of 2" black iron sprinkler pipe that I use. Logs slide real nice on iron.) On stringers they are up in the air and nice and easy to work with. You can make clean sliced rounds with no rolling. (It looks like it is going to suck rolling that first log over.) Having 3 or 4 stringers allows you to cut a lot more of the log and still have it elevated. And if you have the space just have him lay it all out flat, no need to pry and pull it apart yourself.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Yeah I'm not worries about a little rot at all. It looks to me like most oak and some maple but no expert. I have pry bars and they help a ton. Next time the guy comes and drops of a load I will have him drop the a bit more orderly so it's easier on me. I've only cut a couple so far to size and has been pain to roll them, if I could have them off the ground like u said it would make life that much easier. I need to figure a better way to measure out the 16"-18" cuts takes forever to do with measuring tape and knife to notch it any ideas

Yeah I'm not worries about a little rot at all. It looks to me like most oak and some maple but no expert. I have pry bars and they help a ton. Next time the guy comes and drops of a load I will have him drop the a bit more orderly so it's easier on me. I've only cut a couple so far to size and has been pain to roll them, if I could have them off the ground like u said it would make life that much easier. I need to figure a better way to measure out the 16"-18" cuts takes forever to do with measuring tape and knife to notch it any ideas

There are a myriad of ways to measure cuts. I use a 16" piece of 1x scrap and a hatchet. It is one step up from what you are doing. Goes pretty quick. Doesn't matter if you ding the scrap wood. I also start at the big end so the odd piece is smaller in diameter. Some guys just know the mark on their bar and measure it from that.

Last edited:
You just got 7-800 worth for free. Buy some chaps & whatever other safety gear you don't have already.

Measure your saw and learn it. My bar is 18 but the rear bar nut is 20. I just turn the saw 90 deg, eyeball, turn back, cut. Just make sure you are doing so when the chain is stopped.

I have a winch on my truck & Jeep. Pull a couple logs 1/2 way off the pile, cut, split & stack. Repeat.

Lawn cart or dual wheel wheel barrow = priceless.

Hyd splitter = allmost a required item.

Lay a tarp down when you split. If you have a nice lawn area it will help to keep it that way. You can easily pick through the crumbs and keep the nicer stuff for kindling, toss it into a bonfire pile, etc. Bark goes on the compost pile or gets hummed out into the woods.

Stack the nice stuff. Pile the uglies on a different pile. Bug infested stuff goes on the bonfire pile.

When splitting, if you find an army of carpenter ants, a quick blast of break cleaner drops them in their tracks, really fast.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Wow, super cool! As has been said previously, be careful rolling those things off the pile. I've read that historically that is one of the most dangerous jobs around when the pile gets huge.

awesome. I wish that much would last me years :p. Looks like 4 months worth or so though.

Nice Score. I buy my logs by the grapple load (6-8 cord). It takes me about 3 months to process, somewhere around 150 man hours at a slow and steady pace. Just find your groove :)

Good Luck,
Bruce

You will figure out a system that works for you real quick. Couple things I would suggest are getting a peavy or cant hook if you dont have one allready. It will help you roll the big logs around. Also a plain old 5' pry bar is magic for peeling and prying those logs apart. Other thing you should think of doing with the next load is getting the wood put up on stringers. Have him lay some of the smaller logs perpendicular before putting down the big ones. (I have a bunch of 2" black iron sprinkler pipe that I use. Logs slide real nice on iron.) On stringers they are up in the air and nice and easy to work with. You can make clean sliced rounds with no rolling. (It looks like it is going to suck rolling that first log over.) Having 3 or 4 stringers allows you to cut a lot more of the log and still have it elevated. And if you have the space just have him lay it all out flat, no need to pry and pull it apart yourself.
I finally purchased a cant hook about a month ago -- I should have purchased one years ago. It's a piece of cake to move those logs around.

I was given a "woodchuck" a few years back and I really like it for working my pile O logs. Its a cant hook, but also has two feet on it that will hold a log off the ground. My pile has stringers, but for logs that are up off the ground, it really helps keep my chain out of the dirt.

After 20-30 calls and emails to tree service companies was able to get a grapple truck load for FREE delivered to my house. Was so excited started to cut to size have small stack working now hoping to get all cut to size before it gets to cold so it's ready for spring splitting. First time ever doing this I suggest all that can handle such a big load in there yard to try it can't beat it the owner was more than happy to drop off and has already offered more I will be taking one more load in a week and probably another come spring time. My father in law heats his house with a stove but has a small yard so he couldn't get a delivery but I'm getting enough for the both of us he has the equipment to process everything so gonna process everything at my house and bring finish product to him he lives close to me. I gave the driver a $20 for lunch or some drinks he was very happy. For anyone in Long Island New York give this guy a call he has so much he needs to get rid of hope someone can get a load like I did and heat there house. I live in Suffolk county not sure how far he goes but he's located in patchouge good luck all. (631) 291-7010 ask for Dave he's an ex navy guy very nice. View attachment 116152 View attachment 116153 Also anyone have some tips on streamlining this process

Nice score! :)

Nobody gives away firewood in the west to my knowledge. Perhaps in Seattle or Portland where there is a high volume of trees being cut in the cities. Firewood is just too hard to come by here in the moderately urban areas. I have to drive about 60-70 miles one way for firewood. That is just the way it is out here I guess.

Thats funny I'm in south east idaho and have about 20 cord CSS and didnt pay a dime for it. Tree service calls about once a week with a load. mine never gets droped in my yard but I go to where there taking the tree out with some cold drinks and they help me load it. Very nice score by the way, Pat

Reactions: PapaDave
@mustash29 I have protective eye wear and ear plugs never thought of chaps what kind do u recommend. Got a cart for lawn tractor as u said its a life saver. Father in law has a 20ton splitter so all set there. I like the idea of splitting on a tarp that's a quick clean up.

I've cut a piece of scrap to 16" and just marking it with hatchet is working good thanks for the tips gonna look into a cant hook. Charles 1981 wow u go through a lot of wood I also have another load coming later in the week that's why I said years of wood this will last me and my father in laws house a year and little. I have to be strategic when rolling em off see what's leaning on what and holding up another being very careful withy all that.

Congrats! That's a great haul of hardwoods!

As others have said, a cant hook is a handy tool. I measure 18" with my blade and work my way down the log cutting 3/4 of the way through. Grab it in the center with the hook, roll the log over and finish the cut. Ditto on the chaps too. Very cheap insurance. Steel toed boots as well if you don't already have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.