Super simple wood rack.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie2

Mar 10, 2014
Georgia
Hats off and a bow to the person that came up with this ! I was skeptical, figuring the vertical posts would tip over, so to amplify the problem I didn't use any wedges to make the verticals actually vertical. I'm going to fix that now that I can see the concept works.

Three concrete blocks, six of HD's landscaping timbers (which were bought during their $1.50 ea black Friday sale)

I wish I could give credit to the person that came up with this, they are on this site, but I'd never be able to find the post again, it's really cool , thanks!

Jagg, I'm sorry but can you please rotate the photo? ;em

Attachments

• photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    471.4 KB · Views: 3,298
A sideways photo is better than none at all. Ive been trying since I joined and my phone just doesnt have the software. All these cinderblock wood racks look unbalanced and tippy but I tried them. They are very stable on gravel. I love the air gap under the rack. You dont lose that bottom layer of wood to wet grass and termites and crap. I modified mine by wedging the uprights and then tying them off with my electric fence wire. I used sapling poles instead of landscape timbers, making my venture into trying this rack completely free. Cinderblocks are hanging out here. If you are really daring you might squeeze 1/2 cord on the 3 cinderblock length. Mine are holding up really well. Restacked twice(2 seasons). I dont know whos idea it was but it utilizes some free materials that most people have laying around. I use what I have of whats laying around. They have my vote.

Reactions: Charlie2
Yes, it surprisingly stable and so fast to make. I just went out and squared things up with some wedges, this stack is 52" high. I'm going to do as you do and tie the top of the posts together but it may not be required. This stack is three and a half pallets, double row piled as high as I could. I too like how high it is off the ground.

Well! I rotated it, but mercy it took awhile to find it. I think I have about four different places the pictures can go!

Attachments

• photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    372.9 KB · Views: 1,836
image.jpg I've been making these 10' long racks lately. I stack wood on them up to 5 1/2' and I have to shim them with whatever I have as I am on a slope. I no longer use the steel brackets you see in the picture as they cost around $14 per rack. If I use all treated 2x4's to build one they cost me $10 each. More than yours I know. Each one holds near two face cord.

I make mine 16' long with 5 blocks and 8 timbers. Cheaper than making two 8' ones. I might make the next ones 24', if they will fit where I want them.

I have got it down to 3- cinder blocks and 4- 2x4x8. Each rack 8' long cost $14. That makes 1 cord for every 3 racks.

I'll try that today aimee. How high do you go?

How high are you going tsquini? It's going to take more than three the way I'm doing it.

Reactions: tsquini
The ends are 2x4x8 cut in half. They are 3'4" stacking height. I stack 2 rows above to make 4". The photo you will see I use landscaping timbers too if I can find them cheap.

Attachments

• 20140605_075117.jpg
    20140605_075117.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 90,388
Last edited:
Not sure if really someone on this site came up with it. The first time I saw those racks mentioned here, there was a link to this site: http://www.instructables.com/id/No-tools-firewood-rack/

I am still using pallets and criss-crossed "bookends" but thinking about giving those racks a try since the pallets are not really high enough to get the lower rows dried out.

View attachment 133950 I've been making these 10' long racks lately. I stack wood on them up to 5 1/2' and I have to shim them with whatever I have as I am on a slope. I no longer use the steel brackets you see in the picture as they cost around $14 per rack. If I use all treated 2x4's to build one they cost me $10 each. More than yours I know. Each one holds near two face cord.

Woody sorry for the delayed response. Your system is great! But what I wanted people to see was the way this person was able to stack wood without having to use ANY tools. It is no more than a five minute job and can completely be moved in the same amount of time. I'm going to try the 16' long version aimee is using, but I'm not sure setting it up will be as fast on unlevel terrain. Jagg could make a 100' version, no problems. (Thanks Jagg for rotating the photo)

Reactions: prezes13
when you use a 8 foot long 2x4 for the horizontal another block in the middle can help support the 2x4 to stop it from bowing and spilling the stack.
DSC_9531.JPG

that would be an awful lot of blocks and sticks for 10 cords though
so I only use the blocks and sticks for small batches of firewood of this and/or that I cut through the year.

Last edited:
Tried aimee's 16' long version and it's every bit as stable. That's a cord, ten pallets worth. I was looking for a copper head to be somewhere in the pallets, but only saw a scorpion, (BTW it won't be reproducing).

I put this last photo in just for the record.

billb3, I'm a southern boy, I was happy as hell to go out in the woods and cut firewood, then put it in the stove and burn it. It was a simple life, there wasn't much magic, just throw it in the stove and set fire to it. It worked for forty five years, then I found this site, a place where folks burned wood, seriously burned wood, amounts of which I never dreamed. So I've learned I don't know much about burning wood after all. So when I post something, it's probably going to be something everyone here already knows. I just thought it might be useful for some other newbies like myself.

Attachments

• IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    341.4 KB · Views: 1,140
I do mine a couple ways but mostly pallets. I get most of the material free on the job site or Craigslist . Got 3000 cinder block a guy just wanted cleaned up and hauled off for free a few months ago! Here's a pic of one of my stacks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 1,020
Tried aimee's 16' long version and it's every bit as stable. That's a cord, ten pallets worth. I was looking for a copper head to be somewhere in the pallets, but only saw a scorpion, (BTW it won't be reproducing).

I put this last photo in just for the record.

billb3, I'm a southern boy, I was happy as hell to go out in the woods and cut firewood, then put it in the stove and burn it. It was a simple life, there wasn't much magic, just throw it in the stove and set fire to it. It worked for forty five years, then I found this site, a place where folks burned wood, seriously burned wood, amounts of which I never dreamed. So I've learned I don't know much about burning wood after all. So when I post something, it's probably going to be something everyone here already knows. I just thought it might be useful for some other newbies like myself.
Doesn't have to be newbies. My first block and stick stacks I used landscape timbers thinking a 2x4 would break/bend/bow. Seem to work fine. I've used pine saplings for sticks, too. They're even cheaper than a 2x4. :cool: Must be a frugal yankee thing.

ok, i setup 1 "no tools wood rack". its 8'. so how high can i go with this. i'm up about 6' of wet red oak. can i go higher?

ok, i setup 1 "no tools wood rack". its 8'. so how high can i go with this. i'm up about 6' of wet red oak. can i go higher?

doh! one of my NTWR's fell over. it was a little over 5' high. it was slightly windy day, nothing big. anyway to easliy reinforce these?

You could try creating 2 or more parallel racks at the same time. At about every 2.5 feet high foot high throw in some long 3 inch diameter branches, saplings, or 2x4's about every 4-6 feet to tie the stacks together and cross brace the end posts to each other. I stack three ranks 8' high in the shed and have pretty good luck with this method, I wouldn't recommend 8' though unless you really need it (my circumstances do) as it requires much more attention to the stacking process, and failure can be dangerous.

You could try creating 2 or more parallel racks at the same time. At about every 2.5 feet high foot high throw in some long 3 inch diameter branches, saplings, or 2x4's about every 4-6 feet to tie the stacks together and cross brace the end posts to each other. I stack three ranks 8' high in the shed and have pretty good luck with this method, I wouldn't recommend 8' though unless you really need it (my circumstances do) as it requires much more attention to the stacking process, and failure can be dangerous.

no room for parallel racks, I have 2 end-to-end.

I set mine up in a gravel driveway and I set them next to each other. Cinderblocks 5" apart. I tied off the tops with electric fence wire. The outside uprights are wired to each other. I cover my stacks with galvinized roofing so the wire acts as a further support. The fence wire acts like a bow wire as well. If you set the cinderblocks side by side they seem to sort of support each other. Stacking wood single row is tricky no matter how you do it.

doh! one of my NTWR's fell over. it was a little over 5' high. it was slightly windy day, nothing big. anyway to easliy reinforce these?
5' high stacks is a lot of surface area for the wind to push on. In the past I have tried to stack higher 5'+ to hold more wood in a small area. height and gravity are good friends. Together they always make my stack lean and sometimes push it over. I find 4' is a good stable height even when stacked in a single row.

I've found on this extremely "location" and "personality" diversified web site,---we ain't all the same. Not the same soil, not the same wind, heat or rain. Not the same at declaring "that's good enough" when building something.---Ya'll know what I'm talking.---So I'm just going to say, four foot high and since I don't want to restack I'll probably cut some saplings and jam them into the ground, put them at a 45 degree angle against the stack. ---Sorry it didn't work well for you.

I've found on this extremely "location" and "personality" diversified web site,---we ain't all the same. Not the same soil, not the same wind, heat or rain. Not the same at declaring "that's good enough" when building something.---Ya'll know what I'm talking.---So I'm just going to say, four foot high and since I don't want to restack I'll probably cut some saplings and jam them into the ground, put them at a 45 degree angle against the stack. ---Sorry it didn't work well for you.

not a big problem, the top 2-3' fell over not the whole thing. took about 20 minutes to restack. seems more steady now. i'll try to work out something simple to brace them.

5' high stacks is a lot of surface area for the wind to push on. In the past I have tried to stack higher 5'+ to hold more wood in a small area. height and gravity are good friends. Together they always make my stack lean and sometimes push it over. I find 4' is a good stable height even when stacked in a single row.
the stack that fell over is now leaning forward after Arthur came through. It has a tree/brush line behind it, so I figured best to bias it forward, didn't reckon in Arthur. I need more rack space anyway so I guess I'll move a few feet off the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.