Super Splitter Bandwagon!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldspark

Because of the posts on this site I tried one and it works as advertised, I have a 8lb maul with a wedge that I use for the wood I can not get with the SS but for the most part it makes the job of splitting much easier.

Welcome to the dark side. It's good to have you. Now you must convert others. Go forth. Preach the Fiskar's mantra.. Don't be satisfied until there is SSA next to every wood pile in Iowa.

yeah, after reading about it on this site, I bought one a couple weeks ago with a sears gift card that i had left over from christmas.

it does work pretty good, and better than you would think from its weight, but I'm not giving up my 8lb maul. The handle is definitely too short - I mean, I can pretend its not most of the time and compensate for it, but really it is. When splitting (or trying to) sweet gum, the maul will bounce up and try to smack you in the face. If the wood is difficult to split, the old faithful 8lb maul definitely does a better job.

if fiskars could apply the same design but with maybe a little more weight and a longer handle, they would really have something awesome. as it is, its just not going to replace a good wood handled maul.

sweetgum = hydraulic splitter

I split oak, maple, beech, pine and even some elm with the Fiskars but I don't remember the last time I attempted to split sweetgum by hand.

I am on the bandwagon! I bought one last week. I also have a Chopper 1. I take the Fiskars over the Chopper one anyday! Yes the handle is much shorter, but I have to say I got used to it very quickly. I just have to bend a little in my swing before contact. I also have the wood up on a round for a little elevation. I split a bunch of Ash, Mulberry, Birch and twisted Cherry. Man that Cherry that was twisted was tough, but the Fiskars did a nice job of it.

I used mine for a few weeks then picked the maul back up again. I dunno...there is just something about the way the maul blows through a round that I like.

The best thing about the SS is you can chop-non-stop. It does not wear you out... easy to swing it for a solid hour and not be tired.
Second best thing is the precision. It is possible to strike blows exactly where you want, time after time.

Status
Not open for further replies.