Supercedars are great

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
Rick I know you didn't want to discuss it but I wanted to post about the supercedars. The two free samples they sent me a more than a month ago were cut up into quarters and started the first weeks-worth of fires (last week, the first week we had the stove going). They did a great job. Thought it was such good business to send out those samples to those of us on here that I better reward it with a purchase, and I did. Cheaped out and bought the smaller box though, since it's getting late in the season (and the good firewood we have may not last through the season!) Ordered last week and only had to start one fire without the supercedar (OK I think hubs started a couple others but I only tried once) I really missed the starters and was very happy when the new ones arrived a couple days ago!
I am sorry I just missed the sale, and would have gone up to the discounted size for sure, but no complaints from me. I think the free samples were a super generous offer and am pleased as punch.

ETA - and, I might add, these folks also advertise here (obviously) which helps bring this great site to all of us - another good thing!

Thomas and Lara were nice enough to sell me 100 ct. of their "green" Super Cedars in December. The other day, the wife asked me to show her how I start a fire with them. Every day since, when I get home from work I look at my chimney cap to see if she started a fire. So far no, she has not denied me the pleasure of starting the fire, and a pleasure it truly is.

I also liked the option of the "greens" but summers around here are ick so I thought that if I had some left over the summer I would rather have them wrapped so they didn't end up all humid and whatnot. It's nice though that unwrapped is an option.

I definitely am more likely to start a fire with these puppies than not. We subscribe to the local paper online now (an actual paid subscription) so we had no paper either and I was trying to use pages from an old phone book. I don't recommend it- they hardly would stay lit! Dang yellow pages.

There is a lot of debate on this site on nearly every topic. Brands of stoves, cat vs. non-cat, iron vs. steel. soapstone or not. Nearly everything.

BUT -- it seems that there is unanimous approval of the Supercedars. Me too!

Only tried 1/4 of one of my samples. Worked like as charm. Next November when I start the stove for the season, maybe I'll use another 1/4. LOL

I actually wish I had a few days a week where I could use one. Get by all those red-hot coals I have to push back and forth to get the ash out. Great product. I may buy some for camping in the rain, although I usually can find lots of birch bark.

Fantastic product. Well worth the $50-something dollars a year for quick and easy starts.

Battenkiller said:
Only tried 1/4 of one of my samples. Worked like as charm. Next November when I start the stove for the season, maybe I'll use another 1/4. LOL

I actually wish I had a few days a week where I could use one. Get by all those red-hot coals I have to push back and forth to get the ash out. Great product. I may buy some for camping in the rain, although I usually can find lots of birch bark.

When I read your post I heard those Tim Allen "real man" grunting sounds! lol.
You folks who have your stove going 24-7 - is someone home most of the day then? In our case, no... we are gone 10 hrs a day, so... starters for us. When we have an unlimited wood supply I guess that might change. :)

Absolutely fantastic product. I bought the smaller box that was on sale earlier in the season, and have never gone back to newspaper. The SuperCedars work great for top-down in the Oslo, and I don't even need kindling any smaller than splits a couple of inches in diameter. Very little smoke, and it takes right off without having to crack any doors open at all. Sweet!

BrowningBAR said:
Fantastic product. Well worth the $50-something dollars a year for quick and easy starts.

ABSOLUTLEY! my kindling is getting bigger and bigger each start

i have access to free fat lighter but I prefer the Supercedars

Status
Not open for further replies.