Superior Builders 800, B836 zero clearance fireplace missing parts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

guammax

Jun 19, 2015
Palm Bay Florida
The tag says it's a superior zero clearance fireplace Model: B(?)36. The house was built in 1980 and the questionable second character was only stamped hard enough to show what appears to be the top 25% of an "8". The damper was completely missing when I bought the house. In the attached picture, the 8 inch inner flue pipe is sitting on the top of the back metal heatshield. I'd like to connect with someone who has familiarity with this fireplace to figure out a few things.

1. Is this actually a Superior B836?

2. How was the inner flue originally attached to the top of the unit?

3. Was this fireplace designed to accommodate outside air?

Any first hand information would be very helpful. I've yet to find anyone local who doesn't see me as anymore than an $8000 sale.

Thanks in advance. Max

Attachments

• IMG_20150619_153810.jpg
    IMG_20150619_153810.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 465
Welcome to the forum!

The fireplace could be a Superior BR36 although I am not sure if it has been around that long. Maybe it was installed later. A pic of the front would help for identification.

The flue should sit on top of the unit and be connected to the flue collar. It looks like it is protruding into the firebox? Have you measured its diameter? Maybe someone used the wrong pipe. If yes, that would certainly be an unsafe installation.

Why do you want outside air? A builder-grade fireplace is designed for ambiance, not for heat. Adding outside air will not really change that.

Get a pro in to inspect the entire system. It has obviously been messed with and who knows what all was done to it or if the system has been compromised just from age. It needs evaluated before you would try to use it or you could have a very unsafe situation

It does sound like you have a BR36. The inner liner would have been attached to the unit above the damper. Since the damper is missing, I'll bet there was a Woodstove sittinig in front of it with a pipe shoved in there at one point in time. Or possibly an insert, if so more parts are probably missing. A good picture would be nice.

Keep in mind that the estimates of $8,000 are likely not too far off. These ZC fireplaces, although cheap in the bigining, aren't cheap to tear out and replace. If it has been compromised, there is a high probability that it can't be repaired and would need removed. If so, many here have opted to finish the alcove and install a freestanding stove rather than replacing the inefficient fireplace.

Reactions: Grisu
I just noticed your location, a stove will likely not be the answer. That could also explain the higher prices, not too many wood burners going in down there.

I know this response is somewhat delayed, but it is most definitely an 836, NOT BR36. Here's the install guide. Flue and caps are still available for AK10 and AS8 series flue. However, it would be a lot of work. It may be a good time to replace the fireplace, considering the cost to just replace/repair the flue. It will be just as intrusive as replacing the system. I can't see how far down the flue is missing. A ballpark around here is about $5000, including all demo, replacement, install, drywall repair, etc. It does not include a new tile/noncombustible facing.
Bernie

Attachments

• SuperiorBuilder800FireplaceSystem_828_836.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 915
I know this response is somewhat delayed, but it is most definitely an 836, NOT BR36. Here's the install guide. Flue and caps are still available for AK10 and AS8 series flue. However, it would be a lot of work. It may be a good time to replace the fireplace, considering the cost to just replace/repair the flue. It will be just as intrusive as replacing the system. I can't see how far down the flue is missing. A ballpark around here is about $5000, including all demo, replacement, install, drywall repair, etc. It does not include a new tile/noncombustible facing.
Bernie
Can you tell me how and where to find AS8 flue pipe?