Superior Hardwood pellets $234.99 a ton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisneaky

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2015
Northern Wisconsin
Mills Fleet Farm has Superior Hardwood pellets for $234.99 a ton on sale until Oct. 10th.

I really don't know much about pellets or this brand, but I thought I better share.

WP_20151006_12_17_11_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
As a general rule, softwoods burn better.

Reactions: Cory S
[

As a general rule, softwoods burn better
That's your opinion I prefer hard wood which is also cheaper
around me .
But burn what works for you

Care to explain why softwood pellets burn better? Hardwood pellets should have more BTUs which should provide more heat. Do soft wood pellets produce less ash?

Wisneaky, I just picked up Rib Moutain Pine for 210.00 from Taylor Wood Pellets out of Medford, 1-715-965-1951. The best pellet I burned so far, 200 for Hardwood blend.

Reactions: Wisneaky
Care to explain why softwood pellets burn better? Hardwood pellets should have more BTUs which should provide more heat. Do soft wood pellets produce less ash?

Softwoods pellets have more btu's. Pellets are compressed to a specific density regardless of if they are softwood or hardwood. Softwood has more btus at the same density of hardwood. I cant comment on what in softwood makes them burn hotter but they do. If you could compress a pine log to the same density of a hardwood log it would have more btu's as well.

Reactions: SESZOO and Cory S
Softwoods pellets have more btu's. Pellets are compressed to a specific density regardless of if they are softwood or hardwood. Softwood has more btus at the same density of hardwood. I cant comment on what in softwood makes them burn hotter but they do. If you could compress a pine log to the same density of a hardwood log it would have more btu's as well.
Thanks for sharing. I did not know this.

Wisneaky, I just picked up Rib Moutain Pine for 210.00 from Taylor Wood Pellets out of Medford, 1-715-965-1951. The best pellet I burned so far, 200 for Hardwood blend.
Thanks, but I don't burn pellets. I was just sharing the information. I was at menards today and they had hardwood pellets for $231

By the way there is a place in Ladysmith that manufactures pellets. I'm not sure if they sell to the public though.

Yep. Love a good quality softwood hands down. HOT and clean. Douglas Fir, Black Spruce, and Grey Pine are about the best softwoods used in top quality pellets.

Reactions: SteveG518
Soft wood pellets leave more ash though, some stoves do poorly with that extra ash

Soft wood pellets leave more ash though, some stoves do poorly with that extra ash
I believe it's usually the other way around. At least when you're taking about compressed softwood. My softwoods leave hardly any ash. Literally....

I have no experience with softwood yet, but everything I have read for the last year here on hearth is saying that softwood is the superior product, more heat AND less ash.

Reactions: Cory S
Based on 4 years of burning, softwood has more heat and more ash, hardwoods are all some stoves can burn due to poor ash control design.

Status
Not open for further replies.