Supersack/ton or 40 pound bags

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Res5cue

Jun 2, 2008
Bangor, Maine
Im looking at 219 delivered for the supersack or 249 for the pallet of bags. Five tons later thats 100 bucks I could save. I would be storing either one In my garage and the delivery guys will place it right inside where I want it, so whats the drawback to the Big Sack O Pellets?

The only drawback is that you have to fill a bucket or hod or old plastic pellet bag (my personal favorite) instead of grabbing a 40 lb. bag. I like to fill up some bags on the weekend in the garage and have them all ready to grab in 20 lb. increments. When the supersack gets low, you'll have to move the bag around a little to get the pellets out. No big deal really. They each have their plus side. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the sack. $219 is such a good price. Dysart's collects a $15 deposit on the bags you get back when you return it, or if they bring a replacement supersack ton, they collect the old bag and call it a draw.

Moe

i have found it easier to work out of a supersack than to use bags. much easier to dump 30# of pellets into the stove from a bucket than 40# from a bag.

There's a lot less plastic waste (made from oil, natural gas) with the super sacks. Go for it. Hopefully the US will see bulk pellet delivery some day. The Maine program will be interesting to watch.

I've never seen these "super sacks", how big are they and what are they constructed of?

Wet1 said:
I've never seen these "super sacks", how big are they and what are they constructed of?
they are large square (cube shaped?) bags made of heavy poly material not unlike blue tarps only thicker. most have hooks on all four corners to hang from a forklift to load and transport. most of the time though, they are filled and then placed on a wooden pallet.
the official name is international bulk containers. put that into google and check out all the different options available.

Its kinda small in the picture here but this is from Dysarts website

DysartsAd808_copy.jpg

Hmmm, I've never even heard of those before today... thanks for the info guys!

Wet1 said:
Hmmm, I've never even heard of those before today... thanks for the info guys!
they are really neat.
the local starch processing plant has starch come in them. they dont want their workers to reach under them to untie the spout, so they have a hopper with a cutter that slices the bottom open.
i reuse them by nailing them to a pallet and loading firewood in. i can get about 1/4 cord in one.
the uses are endless.
at the very least, you can cut them up for accelerants when it gets cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.