Supersplit on sale at Facebook marketplace. Is this a good deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I decided to get Supersplits. Found this on Facebook Marketplace.
Seems like a good deal . Guy asks $2700 . It’s HD model and would cost $3500 for me delivered.
But something is off about this.
1.Guy says selling it To get bigger unit . That’s the biggest SS. The next model up is special edition for elm that we don’t have here in CT.
2 . Says unit had little use, but has a new rack. How did he end up stripping heavy duty rack with little use? The guy has firewood business and offering it for sale in his other ads.
What do you guys think ? Should I just skip it and order regular J model that comes at 3080 delivered or it worth to take a look at ?

Get the serial number, call the factory to see how old it is and what parts have been bought for it...should tell the story a little more...

Get the serial number, call the factory to see how old it is and what parts have been bought for it...should tell the story a little more...
I don't recall any serial number on mine but I'm old.

I don't recall any serial number on mine but I'm old.
Yeah its probably not too obvious...I'd find it hard to believe that a ~$3k splitter would not have a SN though

Yeah its probably not too obvious...I'd find it hard to believe that a ~$3k splitter would not have a SN though
It's not like I haven't been all over the machine but if I think of it this weekend I'll take a hard look.
There's not many places for it to hide. LOL

Reactions: Dmitry
I decided to get Supersplits. Found this on Facebook Marketplace.
Seems like a good deal . Guy asks $2700 . It’s HD model and would cost $3500 for me delivered.
But something is off about this.
1.Guy says selling it To get bigger unit . That’s the biggest SS. The next model up is special edition for elm that we don’t have here in CT.
2 . Says unit had little use, but has a new rack. How did he end up stripping heavy duty rack with little use? The guy has firewood business and offering it for sale in his other ads.
What do you guys think ? Should I just skip it and order regular J model that comes at 3080 delivered or it worth to take a look at ?

Agree. Comes across as red flags to me. I get that good splitters hold their value, but you're in the same boat as before. You're paying almost 80% of the cost of a BRAND NEW SPLITTER DELIVERED. Probably has been used hard and put away wet too many times in a full time business.

I get that everyone wants a deal, but why pay 8/10ths. of full price for another unknown history splitter?

The only thing I can come up with for a reason to replace the rack is someone not engaging the machine quickly from the starting point.
You can not start the ram from a mid stroke point.
The picture shows the table and fiberglass cover not all beat to hell. I’ve seen one machine that looked like it came off a trailer at 80. That was beat and the dealer told me it still worked.
My own table has a few minor bends in the side lip from violently expelled splits. When something happens it’s fast and at testicular elevation so pay attention at all times.

When something happens it’s fast and at testicular elevation.

Might need to pay attention to that last part. LOL.

I have heard guys say they can split as many as 10 cords a day with a Supersplit. Now imagine in a firewood business where the owner says he needs a bigger splitter how many cords he could split over the years........

Exactly