SuperSplit splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
-- (copying post by kellog. original posted thread is at: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/7603/P30/) --

I would like to thank Hard Woods for opening up his home to the group and Harley for bringing his Supersplit mechanical splitter. Both of these guys are very helpful and are true gentlemen.

The Supersplit (Photo links below) started and ran flawlessly for the hour or so that I was there. The 4 HP Honda motor is very quiet. The design is clean and efficient. This splitter is very quick with about a 3 second total cycle. This speed is one of the best features of the machine. While the speed makes it highly productive, extra care must be taken as there is no room for errors. Those who tend to be “accident prone” may not want to use this splitter.

Ninety percent of the pieces split in the first shot. Another 5% would have split in the first shot if we had chosen a better line on the wood instead of trying to go right down the middle of a large piece with a crotch or ugly knots running thru it. Even for the 5% that need to be hit more than once, the speed of the machine allowed this to happen very quickly. I would say that a few more pieces did not split on the first shot with this machine than with other types of machines however the speed more than compensated for this minor short fall as a piece could be hit twice or three times in the same time other machines would take one hit.

Probably the one splittng flaw in the machine was the tendency for “kick outs” caused by a round that was cut at a small angle instead of at 90 degrees to the centerline. There were an extraordinary number of these “kick outs” compared to any other type of splitter I have run. The solution to this issue is not obvious due to the design of the unit but the problem should be able to be solved somehow. The manufacturer should address this issue as it is a relatively unsafe condition.

The one non-splitting flaw in the unit (and granted this was not the latest model unit) is that it is relatively unsafe from a mechanical standpoint. The flywheels are exposed on the lower part of the housing by 1-2 inches. It would be easy to get a finger or clothing caught between the flywheel and the cover. There were several other areas where one could get caught in the mechanical parts of the machine (clutch, belt, etc.). This could very easily be resolved by making a better cover for the unit. I would think the reduced liability exposure involved would far outweigh the cost of the new cover. I’m not sure OSHA would like this part of the machine at all.

Overall I would give this machine a very good rating because it is totally mechanical (very low maintenance) and very fast. Its shortcomings are few and the likely resolvable.

I would like to embarrass Harley and Hard Woods here in hopes of making them safer. Neither used any appropriate PPE during this run. I’m not doing this because I don’t like you guys. On the contrary, I’m doing it because I do like you guys very much and want you to be safe.

Everybody please use the appropriate PPE when using any machinery. You don’t need it 999 times out of 1000 but the one time you do need it could leave you blind, maimed or missing an appendage if you don’t have it.

Again thank you Hard Woods and Harley for your hospitality and time in showing off the Supersplit splitter. I just wish more of the group could have participated in the demo.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u230/kelsmi/IMG_0901.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u230/kelsmi/IMG_0900.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u230/kelsmi/IMG_0899.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u230/kelsmi/IMG_0895.jpg

hi begreen,

nice review. Glad the machine worked out so well. Small engine too, so it will probably use little gas. And I like the table for the splits.

What I don't like (from the pictures) is that it is so high of the ground. That will cause a lot of strain on my back lifting all the logs up that high. Did you guys not experience that? Or did you not do enough logs to get tired?

Carpniels

I am sore as hell today! We split rouggley 4+ cord and my arms are more sore than my back.....Table is very nice once you lift the round up and we left most of the monster stuff for later....

carpniels said:
hi begreen,

nice review. Glad the machine worked out so well. Small engine too, so it will probably use little gas. And I like the table for the splits.

What I don't like (from the pictures) is that it is so high of the ground. That will cause a lot of strain on my back lifting all the logs up that high. Did you guys not experience that? Or did you not do enough logs to get tired?

Carpniels

Actually, for me the height works out pretty well, unless of course you are lifting some real monster rounds. I've found this more comfortable than bending over a lower splitter, and the table works well to hold the pieces that need to be split more than once, rather than having them fall on the ground, and have to pick them back up again.

My back was fine on Sunday, but that's probably because HW was lifting most of the rounds for the "old guy"

HI Guys,

Thanks for that update. I once rented a low splitter and indeed my back was sore from bending over this really low horizontal splitter. I can see where the height and the table are actually an advantage.

Thanks

carpniels

Status
Not open for further replies.