Supervent stove connector on PE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pma1123

Burning Hunk
Dec 11, 2013
Watertown, WI
Sorry I lack a picture of whats going on here, but I'm using supervent doublewall connector pipe on my Alderlea T5, and having some difficulty with the actual stovepipe adapter where it connects to the outlet of the stove. The outer layer of the doublewall stove connector is not small enough to fit into the small relief in the top cast iron shroud which surrounds the outlet. If this was not in the way, it would seat into the stove just fine.
Should I trim outer shrouding on the adapter to allow it to sit into the outlet deeper?
Should I put a slit in the outer shrouding and collapse the OD a little bit?
What have others done here?

Not totally familiar with your stove, but on all the ones I've dealt with,
the outermost pipe of the double-wall fits OUTSIDE the flu collar with the
inner pipe INSIDE the flu collar. Yours may be different, but it sounds like
the problem is with the stove adapter. Is it the correct one?

Hi Daksy,
Yes, the inner layer does fit inside the flue collar. The outer layer fits over the flue collar, but the PE alderlea T5 has a small gap around the flue collar (cast iron stove deck) which the Supervent stove connector has too large an OD to fit inside this gap. Instead the OD of the stove adapter rests on the stove deck instead of dropping down into the gap, which only lets the inner liner drop approx 3/8" into the flue collar.
I'm tempted to trim this outer layer to allow the stove connector to sit properly, but wanted to see what others have done here or if anyone has run into this issue with their PE stove.
I attached a random alderlea T5 picture I found to show the flue collar/surrounding stove deck that the stove connector is interfering with. It doesn't seem like a big deal to trim the outer layer of the connector to either collapse the OD a little or remove the offending area; but certainly somebody has dealt with this before and there may be a better solution.

Attachments

• t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Is the adapter necessary for Supervent double-wall? We have DuraVent DVL which sits nicely into the flue collar without an adapter.

Reactions: DAKSY
In my "must use a stove adapter" plight, I did not try just simply putting the double wall pipe on there. (hits self on head)
I'll give that a shot tonight and report back. Thanks Begreen!

If need be, yes you can trim the top insert casing to fit the adapter to the stove outlet.
Tin snips will due it just fine.

Reactions: DAKSY
As a follow up, I installed the double wall pipe directly without stove connector; fits perfect.
I also get to return a $20 part I don't need, which makes this project $20 less over-budget. :cool:
Thanks guys!

Woohoo, it will heating time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.