Supervent two story install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cgesek

Jan 2, 2015
CT
I'm gearing up to do a two story chimney install and have a few questions. The stove will be on the second floor and I will be going up through the third floor bedroom, unfinished attic and roof.

1. Do I need a Firestop Radiation Shield or do the Decorator Ceiling Support and Attic Insulation Shield perform the same function? They don't show it in the two-story diagram.

2. Is the chimney supported anywhere above the Decorator Ceiling Support? I don't doubt that it can hold the weight but there's nothing above to keep the whole thing from wobbling around? The Attic Insulation Shield, Ventilated Flashing and Storm Collar don't seem to be supports. And what is the point of framing on all 4 sides in the roof joist area if nothing is attached there? Should I order a roof support? It's also not shown in the two-story diagram.

Thanks,
Chris

The chimney support will support up to 50ft of chimney pipe when properly installed. Is the attic an occupied living space? If not, and it's just an attic then the attic insulation shield is all that is needed according to Selkirk.The chimney pipe going through the bedroom needs to be enclosed in a chase. Be sure to allow a minimum of 2" clearance from the chimney pipe from any and all combustibles. You can put vent grilles top and bottom on the chase to provide a little extra heat for the bedroom.
Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 7.33.18 AM.png

Reactions: Osagebndr
Whether or not you need the roof support is dependent on how far out of the roof your Class A will extend.
Generally speaking, every 5 feet exposed requires a roof brace kit. Each manufacturer specifies that
requirement in their respective install instructions.
As far as "wobbling around" goes, the ceiling support box, attic insulation shield & the flashing cone
do a good job of steadying the entire Class A assembly, since each section is securely connected to
the one above & below it.

Status
Not open for further replies.