Superwalnut (or just plain ol' BW)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
And so it begins. A round let go of a cookie. That cookie has been sawed into blocks. Those blocks have been weighed.

Let the spreadsheets and testing ensue.

I have 7 little chunks. I cut four into fairly equal sizes and the other three increase in size. All in all I have 417.9g worth of wet Black walnut.

Initial reading of the cookie with the MM will be posted in minutes. BRB.

MM tells me "OL"... I think that means it's wet, lol.

Got a close up pic of the bw?

smokinjay said:
What kind of a close up do ya want? I got a camera and the wood sitting right here!

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
What kind of a close up do ya want? I got a camera and the wood sitting right here!

Just good enough to see color and grain.

d2b1c0f8.jpg

1e418272.jpg

21f3e97f.jpg

384ecd8c-1.jpg

Not sure what your doing but in my book thats some Awesome Black Walnut! My Vote Super......

smokinjay said:
Not sure what your doing but in my book thats some Awesome Black Walnut!
Gonna find out how many BTUs are in this stuff! First I'm gonna use a thing or two that BK taught me to dry it out and figure som MC stuff on it. When I'm done figuring out bTUs then it's onto moisture REaquisition tests and stuff like that.

Thats is some beautiful Walnut you've got there.

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
Gonna find out how many BTUs are in this stuff! First I'm gonna use a thing or two that BK taught me to dry it out and figure som MC stuff on it. When I'm done figuring out bTUs then it's onto moisture REaquisition tests and stuff like that.

Now I am with you... ;-) Like to had the mill on that stuff.

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:

Now I am with you... ;-) Like to had the mill on that stuff.
Bring it over. I have plenty where that came from...

ef91bb64.jpg

328 miles, anything over 36 inchs?

This is 20-24 and you can prob get a few 20ft boards out of it
0e06856e.jpg

The length is not that important I just look for the wide stuff.

Niiiiiiice. :coolgrin:

smokinjay said:
The length is not that important I just look for the wide stuff.
Most of what I find is like in my avatar, usually 12 to 18 inches or so.

How on earth did BW that nice wind up in a firewood pile?!

MasterMech said:
Via an 028, a 1500, and an 8... Or for the non # nerdy: Stihl, Dodge, Maul...

MasterMech said:

Because that is where it belongs!?

Most of the walnut I have been cutting are the leftovers and tops from loggers that came in 7 or 8 years ago. A couple small trees came down in a wind storm last year but they weren't very good.

Our farm is loaded with walnut, cherry, and red oak. Oh,tons of box elder too.

I have a 5' 6" walking stick purple hart-wood from 2004. Got to cutting a really nice one, so I free handed that log. It was borrowed as part of a Halloween costume.

Well, my spreadsheets are completed, and I just keep updating figures as I get them. Seems as if this walnut may just be some normal BTU stuff. I'll wait until the measurements and calculations are done before I bore you with tons of numbers,, but I think you'll at least find the moisture content analysis interesting (as always).

Danno77 said:
Well, my spreadsheets are completed, and I just keep updating figures as I get them. Seems as if this walnut may just be some normal BTU stuff. I'll wait until the measurements and calculations are done before I bore you with tons of numbers,, but I think you'll at least find the moisture content analysis interesting (as always).

Ok educate me here. Just what the heck is a Super bw anyways?

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

Ok educate me here. Just what the heck is a Super bw anyways?
It's something I made up because I was convinced my BW has more BTUs than everybody else's, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.