Supplemental heat ideas....(edited to add picture)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ken3698

Jan 14, 2008
Western NY
Currently we have a double sided propane fireplace that doesn't generate any type of heat to supplement our furnace. Is there anyway that we can upgrade or add to our Heat-n-Glow fireplace to lower our heating bills? Currently, there is a B-vent chimney going through the center of the house. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Propane costs are outrageous.

Thanks, Ken

Attachments

• 31001.JPG
    31001.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 413
It is definitely B-Vent and not a Direct Vent? Even if its B-Vent the unit should still be fairly efficient and put out some heat. How old is it? Can you get under it and find the silver sticker and get the model number off it for me?

Model #ST-TRC made by Heatnglow

80% efficiency and does throw off some heat. It's rated at >21,000btu/hr. My problem is between this and my furnace, The propane bills are $600-$700 a month. I would like to find a cheap alternative supplemental heat source. Our house isn't set to add a pellet/wood stove in another location. So i'm trying to modify this one..

Thanks for any help.

So... the unit does provide a good amount of supplemental heat. I work on these exact fireplaces every week, that model is a Direct Vent not a B-Vent FYI. They throw off some heat. Of course the furnace is probably more efficient but the fireplace would be a good zone heater for the area it is in. Seems like your issue is that you don't want to burn gas at all, and want to burn wood or pellets. Unfortunately you cannot do anything to this unit to burn either of those fuels that would be anywhere near considered safe or legal. Your only option would be to tear the whole thing out and either build an alcove and install a stove or convert it to single sided and install a built in unit.

Thanks for the suggestion... I called the place where I purchased this unit today and they told me they installed it with the B-vent.

Bvent or direct vent could I hook up a pellet stove to either of those two types of venting or would I have to run a new vent system up the wood chimney?

Thanks again..
Ken

You would have to tear out the whole system and install a new vent. If you really could not get the old vent out you could drop a 3" SS pellet liner down the old vent.

I hate to argue about this but if you truly have a ST-TRC you dealer is mistaken. The unit is a direct vent, and cannot be installed with B-Vent.

I attached a clip from a manual I found online

http://content.hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/501_900o.pdf

B Vent units almost always have something like "TV" or "TVFL" or simply a "B" in the model number. I will try and dig up the B Vent model from that era.

http://content.hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/456_980b.pdf

----

Now... I know we have a hotel with a B-Vented DSI See Thru unit and I'm trying to remeber the model.... It is similar to a ST-TRC but it would have to have a tag on on the model # to make it B-Vent, I want to say it should be a ST-TVFL but I can't find a manual for it from home.

Attachments

• ST-TRC.jpg
    ST-TRC.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 288
Thanks... I believe you . I went down stairs and it's eactly like you showed.

Direct vent...

I might try putting in a 3inch vent for pellet (This summer)... Thanks for informing me of all my options..

You can't just jam a 3" vent down the old one and stick an insert in the box or anything. A 3" SS pellet liner should go down it no problem. If its direct Vent it would be 6" inner flue and if its B-Vent I think it would be 5" inner flue. To do it right you would have to rip that whole thing out of the wall. Not going to be an easy job, but can be done.

Good Luck, and you might want to save that gas fireplace. Someone might pay you some decent cash for it, that model is not THAT old and the venting for it should still available to purchase.

This B-Vent thing is bugging me so I will probably looks up that hotel tomorrow and see what they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.