Support box install questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountain Man 511

Jan 4, 2015
Franklin NC.
Not sure my support box was installed right i have a 19ft cathedral ceiling, they installed a 24 inch support box with trim but i can see sun light between the trim and box certain times of the day.
The installer told me this was normal because i had a metal roof that was installed over a asphalt roof and there are 1x4 wood between the asphalt roof and metal roof and this lets light in.
Doesn't sound right to me, i would think it should be sealed.

Can you use non flammable foam around the support box to seal it or should i leave it alone.

Thank's
Ernie

Its probably sealed on the metal roof.
light is probably coming in through the space where the number 1 x 4s are separating the metal roof and the asphalt roof..
Would think you'd be getting rain water through to if it was not sealed. As for air infiltration, you could probably use some high temp silicone to fill any gap.

Reactions: Mountain Man 511
What type of chimney pipe is this? Some companies use a slotted flashing under the storm collar. Light can leak through there, yet still be rain tight.

Reactions: webby3650
It should still be sealed since that's the envelope of the house. Unless they sealed that with clear then your good.

Almost all flashings will let some light through, especially if clear silicone was used. I prefer non-ventilated flashings and aluminum silicone to prevent this from happening. It doesn't matter if light shines through, but it's a service call generator for sure!

Almost all flashings will let some light through, especially if clear silicone was used. I prefer non-ventilated flashings and aluminum silicone to prevent this from happening. It doesn't matter if light shines through, but it's a service call generator for sure!
I completely agree, I was more so referring to OP, He said he could see light between the support box and trim. The trim covers up the cut in the sheetrock or whatever material the ceiling is covered with, so to me it sounds like it's not seal around the support box where it slides into the ceiling. To me that should be sealed.

I completely agree, I was more so referring to OP, He said he could see light between the support box and trim. The trim covers up the cut in the sheetrock or whatever material the ceiling is covered with, so to me it sounds like it's not seal around the support box where it slides into the ceiling. To me that should be sealed.
It typically is not, but it certainly wouldn't hurt anything to seal it. It's a good idea.

It typically is not, but it certainly wouldn't hurt anything to seal it. It's a good idea.
Yeah I always do, cause that's where your penetrating the envelope of the home. Anyways, maybe I just go overboard with my thinking. Lol

Yeah I always do, cause that's where your penetrating the envelope of the home. Anyways, maybe I just go overboard with my thinking. Lol
Always huh? You do this for a living or something?

And I guess since I don't have the title master of fire means I don't know anything...

I am, but by no means a certified installer cause the company (whom I won't name) believes that on the job training is the only way to go and doesn't believe in schooling. But I personally am really interested/ want to become certified

I am, but by no means a certified installer cause the company (whom I won't name) believes that on the job training is the only way to go and doesn't believe in schooling. But I personally am really interested/ want to become certified
On the job training is just as important, assuming the one doing the training is qualified.

On the job training is just as important, assuming the one doing the training is qualified.
That's the problem, but I've learned a lot from reading on here, I hate installing wood inserts without a block off plate, and a non insulated liner. I agree the on the job training is important. I do want to become a certified installer though

That's the problem, but I've learned a lot from reading on here, I hate installing wood inserts without a block off plate, and a non insulated liner. I agree the on the job training is important. I do want to become a certified installer though
I know what you mean. It stinks to install something when you know it could be better or safer but have to do it the way your told. I think most all installers face that as employees at some point. Some don't care, others do.';) You are at the right place. I do a hundred or more installs a season, feel free to PM me if you ever have any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.