Support Box Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CSAW

Sep 6, 2010
Fl
Searched but didn't find the answer. My support box is going to be going through about a foot of attic. Not enough for this fat boy to get in there to work. Is there enough room through 12" x 12" hole in the ceiling and hole in roof to build the framing for the support box? What makes matters worse is I may have to go with the reduced clearance box. Not sure yet.

Really not wild about going with roof mount, my roof is 1/2" plywood. I think.

Thanks

Are you sure your support box is 12x12? that's an odd size, since they are designed to attach to the ceiling framing, which is normally 16"o.c., leaving 14 1/2 inches between studs...

If you find that to be the case..

open the hole from below, 14 1/2 x 14 1/2, you should be joist to joist in one direction, then use a pocket hole jig to put pocket holes in the cross framing you need to add. Then.. open the thru hole of the roof for chimney, slide the support box into place from inside the living room, reach down thru the hole you cut for the roof penetration of the chimney, and using nail gun or screws, secure the support box to joists and added framing. done.

If your box is 12x12, do much the same, but you will have to shim the ceiling joists to make up the difference.

and finally, if the box isn't going to line up with the joists as they are.. you will just have to accept some drywall work is in the future, and cut and tear out ceiling to have room to build in headers as needed.

Sounds like you are using a Dura-Vent box, if you have access to one of those little impact drivers they will fit inside the box from below. A small drill will make a big difference.

Thanks, that is pretty much what I figured. Just going to be tight. It is the Dura-vent box that I will be using, it is 12"x12" unless I have to go with the reduced clearance box which is 10"x10". My trusses are 24" OC. It is going to be very close to one of them, just not sure how close. Have just measured from stove dimensions on the web and going in the attic the best I can. I can't tell exactly where the wall is when in the attic, but am pretty close. Im waiting on the stove before I poke a hole in the ceiling and order the box. Just wanted to know if I could work through the hole and it sounds like I can.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.