Support box temps?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DonNC

Jan 3, 2011
Fayetteville, NC
I've just completed my first couple of burns in a new Drolet Sahara. Im using a section of adjustable double wall pipe to get up to the support box and then class A chimney on top thru the attic and out the roof. I have an IR gun and have taken readings on the outside of the stove pipe and the support box/ trim. The temp on the outside edge of the support box is 170 and the trim is 138 mid-way back(about 2.5 inches from the pipe ) . (the stove top temp at this time is 450-500

What are the temps on your support box? Are these temps safe?

I know there is still a gap between the outter ring of the box that is attached to the joists , and this part that I am testing, but it still seems overly hot.

If installed correctly it's fine. Got hot water heating pipes? Go measure them with 180F water running through them for hours.

What might be more informative for your concerns would be the flue temp, but that would take a probe thermometer reading. Is the stove air control being closed off most of the way before these readings are taken?

As far as the stove top temperatures go, they are perfectly normal. An overheat situation would show much higher temperature, well into the 700-800 range on top. If the stove does not overheat, you are probably fine with the flue as well. I have experience in testing wood stoves for safety. 150F seems very hot, but in the "safety testing world", it is not. Depending on the testing performed, the maximum allowable temperatures are often withint the 200F range + ambiant. That means they can get close to 300F.

Status
Not open for further replies.