Supreme vs Napoleon vs Osburn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Doublebogey

Burning Hunk
Hey all. Been lurking for a long time here but its time to seek out some proper wisdom. I moved into a house with an open masonry fireplace last year and our cold Cincinnati winters had me chewing through wood at a rate that shocked me. My wife would also complain that on the nights that I burned a fire for a long time it seemed to cool other parts of the house off more than normal as well. Time for an insert I think. I have a 2200 square foot two story. The fireplace is in a 400 square foot family room that sits off to the side of the house but it vents well to the rest of the house as well as the stairwell to the second floor. I really would just like to supplement my current heat pump and hopefully drive down my bills. I have family access to a large wooded property full of standing dead ash and already have 6 cords of it cut and split in a barn awaiting use.

The local "go to" dealer in our area for inserts has a pretty good selection and I seemed to have narrowed things to three models, but I am not by any means even certain of that. I like the look of both the Napoleon EPI3 and the Osburn 2200 for two different reasons. They both are very physically attractive in different ways is what I am trying to say. There don't seem to be a whole lot of bad experiences with these two brands as well.

There is also the matter of the Supreme fusion 24 insert that they sell, and I love. It is beautiful, only needs a 5"flue (easier install), only weighs 175 lbs. (easier install), sells for a very reasonable price. It seems to have been around for a while but there is very little info about it. All the searches on this site return VERY little info about it. I am probably going to pull the trigger soon on a purchase and had kind of been leaning towards writing this one off, but before I did I wanted to give this crew a shout and see if anyone had some info that hadn't been shared previously.

I can't recall any reports on their insert. @webby3650 has some experience with some Supreme stoves. I'm not sure if he's installed their insert. They are less common than the other brands mentioned and use a lot of stainless steel in construction which reduces weight.

I haven’t installed any supreme inserts. We kind of backed off on supreme because of the light weight. We have a few units out there and have had any reports of problems but who knows. I’m always intrigued by there products at the trade show, but concerned at the same time.
Was it the price point of the Osborn and Napoleon that you liked? If you’ve got room in the budget I’d step it up a little and look at Lopi, pacific energy, and Blaze King.

Well, my wife is not thrilled with the look of the lopi inserts and there is no blaze king dealer within a decent distance for me so its not even on my radar. You have had me doing a lot more research on the the PE inserts though since there is a dealer nearby that I wasn't aware of before. Hadn't really thought about them.

Have you considered Jotul such as the Rockland insert? They are much more common, probably a bit more pricey but a lot of members here recommend them.