Surdiac Le Marquis??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

logger

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2009
Pine Barrens, NJ
Anyone ever burn one? I got sweet deal on one, but dont know too much about them. Love the fact that this Belgian stove has a pic of a dude smoking a pipe by a fire and a lady bringing him beer on it!! Looks like a German beer stein. Its in excellent condition and will be going in my swinging door saloon when its finished. Just curious as to how efficient they are. Seemed to be doing its job when I saw it in action at the owner's house.. any input?
Here's a pic of one, but mines all black w/ two glass doors:

Attachments

• surdiac.jpg
    surdiac.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 3,481
I don't know about efficiency but I'll give it top marks for style.
Joe

logger said:
CleanBurnin said:
I assume you found this page here:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Surdiac_Stoves
Looks like the same pic.
Yep, thats where the pic came from. Just looking for some first hand experience input as to its delivery. I'll just be using it for nightime fun, but wanna make sure it'll do its job or if it has any quirks that help in operation.

Hey Logger! Great stove! I bought one last year, Surdiac Gotha 513 same as the picture and have heated my entire house with it. My father in law has the Surdiac 715, he bought his brand new from a shop in 1990. He loves it too.

I've got links to owner's manuals, parts lists, brochures as well as some user experience you can pick appart:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/File:surdiac713_Page_2.jpg/ that's the brochure

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/File:surdiac_manual_oldcoal.pdf/ get the manual here

http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/68/catalogs/Wood-and-Coal-Stoves-Manufacturers-Cross-Reference.html get the parts here.

What model is yours they had a 513 and a 713. They both looked the same except one bigger than the other. I've never seen a 713 in person, but as I mentioned, my father in law has the 715! Feel free to ask any questions, everything the brochure says is true!

Attachments

• Surdiac 715.jpg
    Surdiac 715.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,761
I had the same stove . It was in the house when i bought the hous in 1990. It was very good at heating for a short period of time. COuldn't get a 24/7 burn out of it. I bought a Castine in 2001 when I had to replace an older metalspestose chimney. I figured if I had to get a new exhaust pipe I might as well get a new engine.

Thanks a lot VCBurner. This info will come in very handy. Not sure what number model mine is, but it is the Le Marquis and has the double glass doors. I appreciate the help.

adrpga498 said:
I had the same stove . It was in the house when i bought the hous in 1990. It was very good at heating for a short period of time. COuldn't get a 24/7 burn out of it.

Funny.. this stove belonged to my cousin and it came with the house when he bought it. He used it for a few years, but just bought a new Englander so he could get the overnight burns going. That was his only complaint, even though he really liked the stove. As I mentioned, its just going in a saloon above my detached garage so I wont need it burning 24/7 (unless a drunken friend decides to stay the night, but that will be their problem). I'll just be using it for get togethers from time to time. Love the look of this stove. Thanks for the input.

logger said:
adrpga498 said:
I had the same stove . It was in the house when i bought the hous in 1990. It was very good at heating for a short period of time. COuldn't get a 24/7 burn out of it.

Funny.. this stove belonged to my cousin and it came with the house when he bought it. He used it for a few years, but just bought a new Englander so he could get the overnight burns going. That was his only complaint, even though he really liked the stove. As I mentioned, its just going in a saloon above my detached garage so I wont need it burning 24/7 (unless a drunken friend decides to stay the night, but that will be their problem). I'll just be using it for get togethers from time to time. Love the look of this stove. Thanks for the input.

Logger, as I mentioned, my father in law has the 715 with the 19.5" log capacity. When he bought his back in the late eighties Jotul had already bought Surdiac and it was "by Jotul." He can get an 8 hour burn easily. He puts these giant 5x9x19 splits in through his top loader and lets them smolder for up to eight hours on low. You have to have a healthy bed of coals, obvioulsy. We found it's best to let a little ash build up in the ash pan and not to clean out the grate at all untill you do yours maintenance of course. I can't get more then 6 hours out of my 513 but it's got a relly small firebox. The LeMarquis was the biggest of the Surdiacs as far as I know, I've never burned one, but I do have a brochure for it in my files. You should not have a problem with extended burns in it if needed. I don't think there was a model # on yours the name is it. I'll try to send out a link for the brochure.

So how's the stove working out for you? I've always wondered how well the LeMarquis work. Do you get a 10 hour burn out of it like they claim in the specs? I put my Surdiac Gotha out of commission for the time being. Next year I may install it in a newly finished dinning room, after a much needed repair list is done on the stove. It heats really nicely and I may give some coal a shot. The thermostat and glass both need to be replaced. But if I want to sell it I could get the money back if those things are fixed, I only paid $80 for it. Getting close to the end of the heating season, I'm looking forward to Spring!

Status
Not open for further replies.