sure having a mild burning season so far!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDGERUNNER30

Feb 7, 2009
Eastern, Kentucky
Here in eastern, kentucky temps have been quite warm for the burning season, temps have been in the upper 50's to low 60's up in the day have had some frosty mornings but don't see the need in burning yet, wait and hold to my wood supply and let the heat pump take care of the mild work, How is you guys season going?

burned about a face cord of junk poplar and about a half face cord of good stuff in the last month and a half. 1 or 2 loadings of 3-4 pieces is all the house needs to get it to 74 deg any hotter then that and im walking around in my boxers lol

It's been mild here as well, lots of 40-50's during the day makes it hard to figure out a good wood burning schedule. Your probably a smart man saving your firewood while you can.

Same here. I started the stove up at sundown yesterday and should have just burned electrons instead. I'll be burning two a days starting Wed. from the looks of the forecast. Sixty degrees on New Years Day would not break my heart.

We will all pay for this mild weather! I have burned up all of my junk stuff, and got into my good stuff just a little.
If it stays in the lower 40's, (upper 30's) at night, I just pay the Utility company for the heat. Any lower than that and it's burn time!

In the 50's Friday, today, and tomorrow, with low's in the 30's and 40's. Definitely mild. We've had a few cold stretches, but all in all, the season has been easy for heating so far. Burned about a 1/2 pallet of uglies, and just gttting into the main wood for the season - but the softer woods (red maple, cherry, etc.). Definitely saving wood so far - fine with that! Cheers!

Way warmer this year than last year. Way less wood burned. I'm way more prepared.

We've learned something, as well. The PE or the 13 can handle the load if the conditions are right. Depends on dampness, temps, wind. But it can be done.

Tonight it's the PE. I'm guessing, with the top plate in the center chimney, that the heat radiates from the chimney and kinda rises to the attic, hence keeping the house warm.

Werks for me :)

So far we are milder than last year too. But last year was a bear. We went from temps in the 50's and 60's to the teens in a couple days. It was rough on the plants and the wood pile. And then we got snow.

BeGreen said:
So far we are milder than last year too. But last year was a bear. We went from temps in the 50's and 60's to the teens in a couple days. It was rough on the plants and the wood pile. And then we got snow.

Sounds about the same as we had here in western NJ. (At least as best as I can remember. I think I recall a two-day rain and temps in the 50's again then another plunge into the 20s or something... birds couldn't figure out what was going on for at least a week after that!)

BrotherBart said:
Same here. I started the stove up at sundown yesterday and should have just burned electrons instead. I'll be burning two a days starting Wed. from the looks of the forecast. Sixty degrees on New Years Day would not break my heart.

It was 65 here today. I'd be just fine if it stayed this temp for the next four to five months.

I actually ran the furnace last night and this morning to take the chill off.

Don't worry, we are to get in the 30s Wednesday. Usually means a "Jet stream" shift, Pushes out all our cold air & it heads SE.
Sorry to hear youns are missing out on winter. Im sure it 'll show up soon. :)
-3°f, clear.

bogydave said:
Don't worry, we are to get in the 30s Wednesday. Usually means a "Jet stream" shift, Pushes out all our cold air & it heads SE.
Sorry to hear youns are missing out on winter. Im sure it 'll show up soon. :)
-3°f, clear.

Always happy to hear that Alaska it willing to take one for the team! :lol:

I can fairly closely forecast our first bone chiller and snow storm. I was done with cutting wood and gonna just start buying the stuff. Old and tired. Now a neighbor has six trees he is gonna have tree guys drop and wants me to take the wood to save him having to pay them to buck'em out and haul'em off. Big'uns. No date yet but in the next three weeks. I guarantee you it will be 20 degrees and snowing when the things hit the ground. I just know it.

BrotherBart said:
I can fairly closely forecast our first bone chiller and snow storm. I was done with cutting wood and gonna just start buying the stuff. Old and tired. Now a neighbor has six trees he is gonna have tree guys drop and wants me to take the wood to save him having to pay them to buck'em out and haul'em off. Big'uns. No date yet but in the next three weeks. I guarantee you it will be 20 degrees and snowing when the things hit the ground. I just know it.

And you're point is?????

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
BrotherBart said:

And you're point is?????

That I don't wanna mess with'em. I have five acres of trees if I had the umph to just go whacking trees. Cold and wet is the time to be sitting by the fire drooling in my soup reading Bermuda retirement home brochures. :lol:

mild is right. we had the stove fired this morning and thats all we needed to knock off the chill. this same time last year id already gone through a bunch of wood.

heatwise said:
mild is right. we had the stove fired this morning and thats all we needed to knock off the chill. this same time last year id already gone through a bunch of wood.

Warmest spring here since 2006. Never forget that year. I installed the 30 that Fall and cooked us out of the joint playing with it.

BrotherBart said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
BrotherBart said:

And you're point is?????

That I don't wanna mess with'em. I have five acres of trees if I had the umph to just go whacking trees. Cold and wet is the time to be sitting by the fire drooling in my soup reading Bermuda retirement home brochures. :lol:

You are in N. Virginia , Almost a hillbilly.
I'm betting you are tougher than nails & just groan'n cause you can, or want to, or forgot why, just groan'n.
I also bet you told him you'd do it, cause you are a good neighbor.

Seriously, Maybe post it on CL & supervise the work.
But; We need pictures either way.
Slow & easy if you you do it though. Get some help. You got all winter. :)
What kind of trees?

I hope we have a mild winter, It's a pain to deal with all snow, ice , power outages, all the crowds at super market and gas station stocking up like it's the last time they will ever get to. The first year i got my wood stove i wanted the coldest, badest weather mother nature could bring, man what was i thinking.

Burned about a face cord of wood so far this year. Most of it was late October-early November, where I burned 24-7 for about 5 days straight. Played 18 holes today in short sleeves and long pants, it was wonderful! We will pay in the end, though. The October blizzard was only about 4" here. I know there is a pre-Christmas bomb coming... Still have a bunch of short junk, splitter trash, and some old pine to burn. Then it is the good stuff. I'll take the warm weather though, now that the leaves are down, a 65* day sets us up with good solar gain, so we don't kick in the oil heat set at 60*.

Burned about a face cord of pallet wood as well as a face cord of cottonwood with some maple so far. This is my first year so I couldn't resist. With this nice weather I have been doing things around the yard I normally do in the early spring. Pruning bushes and shrubs, cleaning up the last of the leaves, raking and making sure I have nothing to do but seed and cut the lawn in the coming spring and summer. More time to split and stack wood the better.

ya mild here as well but i have a weird feeling bad is on the ay for some reason weather here this past yr has been nuts.. worst snow storm ever last yr record heat in the summer bad hurricane then a bad snow storm on mid oct.

You folks make me want to move.
Well at least for the winters, summers in Alaska, it would be hard to find a better location :)

Status
Not open for further replies.