Sure I will Help...How big can it be....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Big fir, I can't lift the rounds into the truck so while they are still on edge I cut the thing from top bark to as close as I can get to the ground without jamming the saw up with chips. Then roll it 90 degree and repeat. Then flop the thing down onto the ground and use a maul to break the last little 4" to the other bark and load the quarters. It's not worth busting a gut to lift huge rounds when the saws make it very easy to widdle them down to reasonable size.

Some of these rounds, if they tip over you're in trouble. Can be nearly impossible to get up on edge again to where you can cut them properly. Again, don't bust a gut trying to flip them back up.

Kills me to see how small the east coast wood is. Seems like a pile of pencils.
Nice score Jags! Those big rounds will supply days worth of wood. Reminds me of the big firs that came down on our property. They were >48" at the trunk. 3 of us rolled the smaller rounds to the splitter. The largest rounds I let sit until they started to check, then broke up with a maul and several wedges.

3 of us rolled the smaller rounds to the splitter.
My biggest issue with these big suckers is (and always has been) - without the assistance of a loader bucket - it is darn near impossible to put one of these rounds back on its edge if it has fallen flat. Just simply too much dead weight to try and heft up by myself anymore.

Reactions: firefighterjake
My biggest issue with these big suckers is (and always has been) - without the assistance of a loader bucket - it is darn near impossible to put one of these rounds back on its edge if it has fallen flat. Just simply too much dead weight to try and heft up by myself anymore.
It's almost impossible unless you use a lever and block it up as it comes off the ground. Having an assistant or two really helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.