Sure is good to know i have a woodstove with an ice storm coming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lopiliberty

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2011
WV
With the potential for a 1/2 inch of ice here Sunday night I am certainly glad I have a wood stove. Might even get to cook on it but I sure hope not. Tomorrow sounds like a good day to sit by the stove and sleep. :)

Definitely a good plan. I hate ice storms. Hope yours is uneventful.

Yeah it is supposed to start here around sunup. The cords are strung, the gennys run tested, the gas cans full and the double hot plate taken out. I don't do sloping food on the top of the stove and smelling it burn for a week anymore,. ;)

Hope it's not too bad for y'all. Ice is no fun. :(

Be safe....and warm.

Yeah it is supposed to start here around sunup. The cords are strung, the gennys run tested, the gas cans full and the double hot plate taken out. I don't do sloping food on the top of the stove and smelling it burn for a week anymore,. ;)
I would never actually cook on my stove. That would be a mess. When I heard they were calling for that much ice I pretty much know I will be in the dark so thought hmm this would be a good time for a pot of Chile so I made some so if I do lose power all I have to do is slap the pot on the woodstove to warm up

Ice storms are the worst. If we had a history of them in our area, I'd definitely be set up with a generator (Propane), when the power goes out, it's great to stay warm with the stove, but no power for days can wear on ya.....and it's never a quick fix when everything (including the roads) has a coating of ice. Stay safe.:cool:

Just started snowing. Nothing better than snow outside and this sight inside:)
picture566.jpg
What ever mother nature throws at me, I will be warm

Last edited:

BB - is this a hot plate something for the stove top? Got a pic? I'm expecting to lose power later on today from this ice storm.

No. It is a hot plate that I heat up with the generator. If I put it on the stove it would melt. ;lol

I guess you are in the same blue part that I am... good luck!

1475871_614674358592831_1487743535_n.jpg

Well no ice or snow here, just some misting rain. And its not THAT cold, about 33 at the moment. It sure is nice to sit around like I am right now anywhere in the house in shorts and a short sleeve shirt and feel comfortable.

We are probably only going to get a little glance of that storm, but still nice to know I don't have to worry about starting up a generator and hooking the oil burner up to it!

My whole experience with wood stoves happened after the blizzard of '78. After my father saw how long we were isolated (even in suburban CT) he went out and got a wood/coal stove. I'll never be without one for precisely that reason...

so far the scary ice storm has been a bust. The hype had me excited I might get to stay home and keep the family warm Monday

so far the scary ice storm has been a bust. The hype had me excited I might get to stay home and keep the family warm Monday

Head on up this way. It is a mess out there.

Once again, as in another post, I will blame New Englanders for sending it. Here it comes....

However, you can blame Santa (not Canada) for sending the arctic mass down your way (alll the way to Texas!!).

Andrew

Damn weather people got it wrong AGAIN. Was going by there forecast with is stupid to believe what they say and didn't dig the snowblower out of the back of the garage so I shoveled it all but I didn't mind. Good exercise plus I enjoyed it till I got to the end of the driveway where the DOH did there wonderful halfa** paving job:ZZZ. Was only supposed to get 1 to 3 inches of snow and sleet but ended up with 5.5 of snow and a little sleet. I'll wait and see what morning brings. Ice is supposed to get started soon:mad:

The cords are strung, the gennys run tested, the gas cans full and the double hot plate taken out.

I did the same thing this morning. If needed I only have to step out the door with the cords, fire it up and plug 'em in. I also filled my spot in the garage with wood so I won't have to go outside once the biting cold sets in.

I got tired of having to route the cords through a window and this year cut a hole in the utility room wall and installed them from the genny shed to the utility room. It is against code to have extension cords passing through a wall. But it is against code to have extension cords passing through a window too. :confused:

Got a nice coating of Ice here in my S/W corner of Ct......just enough to make a mess of things

It's a mess here in Baltimore.

Icing on the cake- my plow guy's truck broke down! So now I'm heading out to try and chip out 1000' of driveway.

I would never actually cook on my stove. That would be a mess. When I heard they were calling for that much ice I pretty much know I will be in the dark so thought hmm this would be a good time for a pot of Chile so I made some so if I do lose power all I have to do is slap the pot on the woodstove to warm up
Haven't cooked on mine, but have cooked in it.2013-12-07 17.26.10.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.