Sure it can....................

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
season some in rounds. This Sugar Maple was hung up for two years, it dropped enough that we could pull it down this past summer (July) then c/s/s it in this years wood, put the meter on it tonight.

On the colder nights we have been burning this, burns hot without any hissing.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1349.jpg
    100_1349.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 673
  • 100_4444-1.jpg
    100_4444-1.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 687
  • 100_4445.jpg
    100_4445.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 679
I agree. It may take a bit longer, buy it'll dry. I got half of this years wood that same way. Hope to get more this weekend. -Brian

Looks good. Ready to burn!

I just cut 8 or 9 dead standing locust trees...all but one of them are ready to burn...but I have plenty so they will have to wait their turn in 2013-14

I've had pretty good luck with fast seasoning of different species of maple. Glad that stuff is ready to go.

The area it came from gets big wind with lots of good sun, I think that sealed the deal for the seasoning this quick. Beech and Sugar Maple tonight.

gibir

Adios Pantalones said:
I have seen it where the trunk was gushing water, but 6-8 feet up I was running into really dry wood- even on red oak that was maybe 2 years standing dead.

Most all the Red,Black & White Oak snags I get are like that. Anything up to 6" is bone-dry & ready to burn now,further on down the trunk needs c/s/s a year,sometimes two.Even fallen branches up to 4-5" that've been on the ground for years,most can be burned immediately.That smaller stuff along with odd chunks & uglies & milling scrap from last Spring is all I've been burning 3-4 days a week so far.Havent touched the 'good stuff' yet.Unless it really turns cold soon,I wont need to until early February.

It burns hot thats for sure, calling for a low of 14 tonight so we should see single digits. Beech with some Sugar Maple tonight.

zap

Looks good zap. Soft maple dries very fast. We drop some trees and 2 years later the whole tree is ready to burn right then. Makes excellent kindling wood too. Splits like a dream. Use axe, not splitting maul.

homebrewz said:
I've had pretty good luck with fast seasoning of different species of maple. Glad that stuff is ready to go.

Found the pictures when we took it down then cut,split & stacked it. 7/10/2011

zap

Attachments

• 100_3440.jpg
    100_3440.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 346
  • 100_3443.jpg
    100_3443.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 353
Nice work ZAP. Enjoy that heat! I am drinking a cold one right now and enjoying the fire in the Wood Gun. Second day of vacation. :coolsmile: Unfortunately, not good weather for cutting wood today. Rain. But I got some work done inside that needed to get done. Later.

Backwoods Savage said:
Looks good zap. Soft maple dries very fast. We drop some trees and 2 years later the whole tree is ready to burn right then. Makes excellent kindling wood too. Splits like a dream. Use axe, not splitting maul.

Nothing to prove it but the temps and the burn times, had a nine hour burn time with six splits from this tree, with another hour in the coals but since we heat from the basement I needed to reload.

We would never get that burn time with soft maple loaded north/south, so I'm thinking Sugar Maple.

Zap

Status
Not open for further replies.