Surge Protector on every stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 years ago I fryed 4 belkins on 1 big surge. 2 of them left little circle burn marks in my hardwood floor.They smelled terrible when they blew. I can vouch that you cant use them again once this happens.I called Belkin and told them what happened because they have this $100,000 thing where they replace anything that was destroyed while useing there products.They asked if all the equipment was ok that was contected to them. I told them everything was great except I was out 130 bucks to replace the Belkins. TGhey told me they did there job and I needed to buy new ones.

investor7952 said:
2 years ago I fryed 4 belkins on 1 big surge. 2 of them left little circle burn marks in my hardwood floor.They smelled terrible when they blew. I can vouch that you cant use them again once this happens.I called Belkin and told them what happened because they have this $100,000 thing where they replace anything that was destroyed while useing there products.They asked if all the equipment was ok that was contected to them. I told them everything was great except I was out 130 bucks to replace the Belkins. TGhey told me they did there job and I needed to buy new ones.

The company is correct...the insurance is IF the device connected to the protector gets ruined....yours didn't. I tend to think that the $130 was far cheaper than replacing all the things connected to them....they did exactly what their supposed to do....protect.

I have an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS).

My reason for the UPS is to prevent winter power problems from frying my pellet burner electrical components and it keeps the pellet burner or oil furnace going while I hook up the generator.

It automatically smooth switches between UPC, Utility power, and Generator power. It fixes poor Utility power; surges, spikes, low voltage and high voltage automatically. And recovers from power problems with out having to be replaced like a surge protector.

My dealer repair tech said they have seen control boards damaged during power outages. Usually at the coldest time of the year.

My UPS is 1500VA used for commercial computer server applications.
If I switch off the pellet furnace igniter (MANUAL LIGHT switch) and switch the hot air duct blower to LOW the UPS will run the pellet furnace for about an hour before the UPC batteries run out from a full charge.

The UPS is made by APC model DLA1500. It was $259 on Amazon.com. Shipping & handling $33.

DLA1500.jpg
DLA15002.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.