Surprise I cannot get an answer from VC tech

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bubba3228

Aug 30, 2011
central wisconsin
Well, I am still working on getting my 0028 Defiant Encore fired up.

The stumbling block I am up against is this, The owners manual I have for my 1986 Vermont Castings stove states... Do not use double-wall chimney pipe with this stove. Is this valid for today's double-wall chimney pipe or was this directed to some old 1986 chimney pipe that was not yet developed for this stove that may have been ahead of it's time?

From what I can tell from reading posts on this forum and others I have talked with, would be that the owners manual is gospel for the approved installations.

I have purchased Duravent DVL double-wall chimney pipe and a 8" oval to 6" round adaptor for my installation because the existing chimney pipe I had in place was 6" Duravent HT Plus class A chimney.

On previous post I first questioned the use of a 6" stack when VC manual and stove state to use only 8" pipe for this stove. Most agreed 6" with 20' + of chimney would not be a draft issue or burn the place down.

So; I have inquired with the manufacturer of the chimney pipe at Duravent... they had never heard of such a requirement or restriction. They suggested contacting VC, so I have....

No Answer for the last week and a half....

I think I am more than safe with this install 17" + from stack to the wall. I also have a factory heat shield for the stack.

Will my inspector and insurance company think the install is approved without the VC tech monkeys getting me the info I need? How can I get them to get me an answer? Does anyone know someone that knows someone that will help me?

Should I just use single wall?

Just want to do the right thing and not have any future hassle's

Here is a thread to and from Duravent

Keith
I have never heard of this type of verbiage in an installation.

Please contact Vermont Castings for a list of approved venting with their stove. If they are going to put this limitation on the appliance then they also know who is approved with it.

Dale Menges | Technical Support Supervisor
M&G DuraVent, Inc. | 800.835.4429 | fax 707.446.1867
PO Box 1510 Vacaville CA 95696

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2011 6:50 AM
To: Dale Menges
Cc: Br61 Customer Service
Subject: FW: tech support / DVL with VC stove

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2011 6:18 AM
To: Br61 Customer Service
Subject: tech support / DVL with VC stove

Hello - I am using your DVL product for a Vermont Castings Defiant
Encore wood burner Model #0028 Ser. #24209

The manual states a warning " Do not use double-wall chimney
connectors with the defiant encore unless they have been specifically
tested and listed for use with this product. Use of double-wall
connectors which have not been tested and listed for use with the
defiant encore may result in temperatures that exceed the limits set
by the test standards ANSI/UL 1482. A potential may result including a
house fire ".

Do you have any specific information that will assure me that your DVL
product is compatible with my stove?

I would appreciate the information you can provide.

Keith Meicher

Attachments

• IM000794.jpg
    IM000794.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 649
ANSI/UL 1482-83 is the Wood Stove standard. Your 8" oval to 6" round 17" single wall connector meets the VC requirement not to connect double wall to the stove. Temperature down stream of the single wall connector should not be greater than the temperature at the 6" exit of the connector.

Clearance of the chimney iaw NFPA 211 will have to be followed if VC did not have double wall connector tested for this stove. That was the case for my Encore. Some configurations were not tested using double wall connector. So I found a venting configuration using single wall that was tested for VC and used that.

Never did get an answer from VC. Oh well customer service is not their long suit.

I did however go to a local reputable stove shop and got the answer to put me at ease.

I fired her up today and love it.

The pics do not do it justice, the wall shields look like a turd in a punch bowl on the photo's but are much better in person. The main thing is they are functional and keeping us safe and warm.

I would like to take time to thank those that take the time for helping us all bounce things back and forth to come up with viable solutions to our questions and concerns.

I do enjoy checking out the post's and learn something new daily, again thanks to you all who respond to the posted questions and to those who offer moral support,it is good to be a member of this group.

Attachments

• IM000819.jpg
    IM000819.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 696
  • IM000817.jpg
    IM000817.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 603
Looks great VC makes attractive looking stoves! Man I would have a hard time staying awake if I sat in the chair closest to the stove..

Ray

Your 6 inch diameter is likely going to cause smoke in the house. They want 8 inch to allow for the massive inflow of air created by the burning with the doors open, like in your pic. Leave the doors closed and the 6 inch meets requirements.

Raybonz - yes they are a good looking stove, the chair is cozy. Myway the doors in the pic are closed. Not having any problem with smoke in the house. I will keep the doors in the closed position though I think it is a lot more safe. The fellow at the stove shop said the 6" would be ok, double-wall not a problem as the VC manufacturer was covering their bases and with a broad statement, just may not be able to load the box as full without some smoke issues, so for now I will keep it to 2 or 3 splits at the most.

Will the 6" be ok with the insurance company?

The fellow at the stove shop will come and certifiy the installation for a fee, or I will call my agent and ask if he will need to look things over.

Bub381 said:

Yes. The 8" is only recommended if you plan on using the firescreen. That goes for the Defiant as well.

BrowningBAR said:
Bub381 said:

Yes. The 8" is only recommended if you plan on using the firescreen. That goes for the Defiant as well.

+1 you're one smart pup! Hey are you gonna make it to Woodstock next year I'd like to meet you..

Ray

Well all I received an answer today from Vermont Castings...

Here it is... Hope it may help someone else as well.

Keith – At the time the early Encores were made (1986 to 1989), there was no appropriate double wall oval to round adapters available to fit the oval flue collar. We put the note in to prevent the use of double wall pipe because no proper adapters were available at the time of testing. We never tested for double wall pipe clearances until the Model 2190 in released late in 1991. You may use Dura-vent double wall pipe safely because they currently make a proper oval to 8†round double wall stove adapter. This pipe is more durable and better for draft than single wall pipe. However, you must use the single wall clearance table for the installation as the early stoves (models 0028 and 2140) were never tested for clearance reduction with double wall pipe.
MHSC
• • •
John Davidson

Sent: Friday, October 07, 2011 11:05 AM
To: MHSC Contact Us
Subject: Vermont Castings Request: General Inquiry

Subject: Vermont Castings Request - General Inquiry
Inquiry: Hello- the following is from an e-mail thread I sent to the manufactuer of the cimney pipe I intend to use for my 1986 Defiant Encore I just purchased as used from a private party. The manufactuer of the stove pipe and acessories is Duravent, the product I am intending to use is the DVL double-wall oval to round adaptor model #8670 , model #9045N ceiling support box, with model # 8674 chimney adaptor and model # 8647 telescoping double-wall pipe.
Please advise of any testing approvals on these products for use with my stove.

Hello - I am using your DVL product for a Vermont Castings Defiant
Encore wood burner Model #0028 Ser. #24209

The manual states a warning " Do not use double-wall chimney
connectors with the defiant encore unless they have been specifically
tested and listed for use with this product. Use of double-wall
connectors which have not been tested and listed for use with the
defiant encore may result in temperatures that exceed the limits set
by the test standards ANSI/UL 1482. A potential may result including a
house fire ".

Do you have any specific information that will assure me that your DVL
product is compatible with my stove?

I would appreciate the information you can provide.

Keith Meicher

Keith
I have never heard of this type of verbiage in an installation.

Please contact Vermont Castings for a list of approved venting with their stove. If they are going to put this limitation on the appliance then they also know who is approved with it.

Dale Menges | Technical Support Supervisor
M&G DuraVent, Inc. | 800.835.4429 | fax 707.446.1867
PO Box 1510 Vacaville CA 95696

Product: Stove
Model: 0028
Serial Number: 24209
Name: Keith Meicher
Address: 501
Lynn Ave
Phone number: 6083939588
Baraboo, WI 53913
Customer would like a response by: email

Thank you for the update and info.

pen

My pleasure, you all have been a big help to me. Anything I can do to help is the least I can do.

I am glad to hear that John Davidson is still with VC after all of the changing of hands. He knows those stoves.

Last I knew, he ran the joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.