Surprisingly good scrounges at the local compost sites so far

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA. Woodsman

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2007
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
I remember last year posting how it was very difficult to get good scrounges because people were hanging onto their trees when trimmed or cut down for firewood because we had that bad Winter 2 years ago. We just had another bad one here but surprisingly I am getting some good scrounges at the local compost sites just about everytime I check them out. I would've thought it would be slim pickin's again but not so far this season...kind of strange to figure it out, but I'm pleasantly surprised about it!

How is it where you fellas and gals are?

I just got a free pass for the one in my town two weeks ago. I've stopped five times so far and left with a full truck each time. Mostly elm and maple but a small amount of oak. I can always top off the load with pine. People aren't supposed to drop anything over 6" but I'm glad they do....

Around here they dont allow us to remove anything from the wood piles at the dump. I still grab the odd pallet for stacking on but dont usually find anything of value. Sometimes there is some cotton wood which is junk so I leave it. Fortunately for us we just drive a few miles into the bush which is all crown land and cut up all the wood we need for free. I was out walking the dog yesterday and came across a beautiful standing dead fir tree which will be my next victim!

All pine at the local dump, and it's bucked to random lengths.. most too long for the stove.

If it was log length, or if I had a giant firebox I'd take it.. but cutting already short rounds just a bit shorter is a hassle.. especially when I still have some of a log length delivery laying next to the house.

Yeah the people who dump at mine seem to love cutting at about 26" as well but price is right and its on my way home. This weekend it was a mad house there.

Lots of big rounds of maple available at our local forestry yard. Just bring a big trailer and strong back and load it up.
Lots of elm soon to come as the city gets a program underway to remove about 2500 dead elm trees.

Mostly slash cut at my place. I keep an eye on it when I am dropping off household trash at the transfer station, but nothing yet this year worth putting in the truck.

I haven't scrounged anything so far this year. The pile from the last year I figured was 3+ cord has turned out to be more like 5ish. I have about 4.5 cord split and stacked from that pile of rounds plus the cherry blow down I drug out of my woods over the winter, and still maybe 1.5-2 cord to split yet. I'm sitting on close to 15 cord c/s/s right now. The wife said if I keep going the way I am ill have stacks all the way around the yard lol
Here's the latest stack, measures almost 4.5 cord
image.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.