Surround panels too small

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

S Roche

Jan 16, 2014
Nebraska
I am installing a Lopi Republic 1750i insert and the fireplace opening is too high for the largest surround panels to cover. I am thinking to raise the insert 1" but then what to do with the gap that will be at the bottom. Has anyone had this problem and how did you deal with it?

One option would be to have a custom surround made. Alternative: One member here recently also posted some install pics where the installer laid a layer of bricks at the bottom and placed the insert on those. It depends what kind of insert you have and by how much the surround falls short.

I needed about an inch on my install so I tiled the brick fire place with ceramic tiles bringing the top tiles down about an inch and a half lower looks very nice like a custom job now all I need is new mantle and trim will look perfect

One option would be to have a custom surround made. Alternative: One member here recently also posted some install pics where the installer laid a layer of bricks at the bottom and placed the insert on those. It depends what kind of insert you have and by how much the surround falls short.
The Lopi Republic has about 10" of stove that sets out of the fireplace. If I use the bricks I will need to add something under the front of the insert to keep it from leaning forward into the room. I checked on a custom surround but it was much more than I want to spend.

I needed about an inch on my install so I tiled the brick fire place with ceramic tiles bringing the top tiles down about an inch and a half lower looks very nice like a custom job now all I need is new mantle and trim will look perfect
If you have pics I would be interested to see them.

Thanks for the ideas. Anyone else?

This I tiled to exact size of the accentra surround it fits right in place the brick behind the tile was about an inch to high so I overlapped the brick with tile enough so it fit perfectly
image.jpg

Here's the stove trim and mantle not done yet so. Hope this helped not sure what ur measurements r but I was able to to hide an inch or so with the tile but overlapping more than a few inches may cause problems with ur tile job. Oh by the way tile and grout cost less than $60 to do all the tile work myself
image.jpg
Here's another pic
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You have the 12" panels correct?
We run into this a few times a year. We use pieces of heavy sheet metal that are bent to a 3"x3" angle. We mount this piece to the lintel, flush with the face of the fireplace. Paint it metallic black to match the stove, once the stove is slid against it its not even noticeable. Your stove even comes with a small can of metallic black! It's a cheap solution that looks nice.

Reactions: begreen
Thanks for the help. I have a couple of good options just need to see which one fits my situation the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.