Survey Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Xiffi

Jan 1, 2017
TN
I have a survey dated 2003. It was done on magnetic north. I am double checking the professional survey - I think they used assumed north instead of magnetic, and I know they have one pin in wrong (there are three pins marking three strips of land, where there should be two).

Do I have to add the 4 degrees 52 minutes west of declination (the difference in magnetic north from 2003 to today) to the bearings marked on the 2003 survey?

Or would I just use magnetic north on the compass without any adjustments, since the survey was done based on magnetic north?

Not easy to answer your question. Often a survey is done on the basis of assumed bearings, although it could have been done on the basis of magnetic north at the time the survey was done. Google "survey and magnetic north" or "survey and assumed north" and you may find info that will help you understand what you hope to achieve.

Try calling the surveyer. I would explain what you are trying to accomplish.
Also if the pin is in the wrong location they should come back out and correct the issue.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lake Girl
You need to sort out the reason for the third pin ... I have multiple pins that were not part of the original survey of the property. These were the result of widening of the road with the the province exercising their right to x% for roads. Drove my surveyor crazy figuring it all out. Added to the highway issue, the side road was widened onto our property with no discussion/easement granted from previous owners. Have yet to tackle that issue which likely means court ...

I have a survey dated 2003. It was done on magnetic north. I am double checking the professional survey - I think they used assumed north instead of magnetic, and I know they have one pin in wrong (there are three pins marking three strips of land, where there should be two).

Do I have to add the 4 degrees 52 minutes west of declination (the difference in magnetic north from 2003 to today) to the bearings marked on the 2003 survey?

Or would I just use magnetic north on the compass without any adjustments, since the survey was done based on magnetic north?

You first said it was done on magnetic north. Then said you think they instead assumed a north, then you finished by saying again it was based on magnetic north. So mixed messages there.

If you want to 'check' some things, just measure the bearing between a couple of pins with your compass, and see how it compares to the survey plan bearings.

But if you want to do anything about anything, you will need a surveyor. Either call up the one from 2003 & get an explanation (13 years is a long time to let go by for that though), or call another one & explain things & have him/her check it. Don't go changing anything on the ground, that is a big no-no.

How do you 'know' for sure something is wrong? The survey plan should explain what was done in 2003.

And your 4°52' is incorrect. You should find the difference in declination between 2003 & now to be in the range of 1°20'+/-, it is more now than it was then.

Assumed North has no bearing on a "real" north as I recall. If the property was on a northerly section line the surveyor just assumed it ran N/S. All other lines and markers are based on that assumption. Are you in Tennessee? I didn't think Tennessee was one of the states that used the public land survey system (plss). Most of the original territorial colonies didn't. Not sure how they use assumed North if there is no base line or meridian?