Survived our first winter burning!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornflakes

Burning Hunk
Sep 19, 2014
Maryland
Well, made it through our first winter burning...with barely enough dry wood. Thank The Lord for pallets and a load of slab wood I was able to score.

This is what I have so far for next year:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Think this oak will be ready for next year? C/s/s august 2014.. Standing dead - loose stack, gets sun 3/4 of the day and plenty of wind. Good air flow underneath as well....
image.jpg

Well, made it through our first winter burning...with barely enough dry wood. Thank The Lord for pallets and a load of slab wood I was able to score.

View attachment 156935

View attachment 156936

Think this oak will be ready for next year? C/s/s august 2014.. Standing dead - loose stack, gets sun 3/4 of the day and plenty of wind. Good air flow underneath as well....
View attachment 156937
I don't think it will be dry enough by then. I'd wait at least 2 years.

Nice view in the back yard, and a firepit too.!! :cool: :) Show us a pic of the firepit.
You have a little bit more put up than I do. Dunno about oak readiness...hope for a hot sunny summer.
Im short this year and could push myself ahead by buying green cords now or just cut poplar and pine and birch this spring and hope for that to season.
Im working on Red maples I cut up in December, still in the woods.
I think youre pushing it for fall burning at this point. For anything in the high BTU range.
Whats in your stacks?

I don' think the oak will be perfect, but probably OK. Another year would do it a lot of good, I bet.

View attachment 156935

View attachment 156936

View attachment 156937
Possibly ready, I like how you have it stacked and it gets a lot of sun, you should test it now, if it's in low 20's now, it may be ready....

As someone who has yet to own a moisture meter, I think you'll be alright

Nice view in the back yard, and a firepit too.!! :cool: :) Show us a pic of the firepit.
Whats in your stacks?

In the back of the property I have walnut,pine that will be ready for next seaso and cherry I'm currently cutting and stacking. I still have 3 more cherry trees to cut down from my neighbors land beside his house.

By the deck I have dry pine, a row of oak with some walnut, and a bunch of junk wood I got ripped off on, on my first Craigslist wood purchase back in early August of 2014.

Plan is to line the perimeter of my back yard with stacks. Or at least the back right corner and someways up the fire-pit side of the property.

I'll get some pics of the fire pit tomorrow.

I wish I had as much wide open area as you do to season wood! I've got decent room, but it's all under the cover of trees during the summer. :-(

That Oak won't be very good, but the smaller splits might burn if mixed with drier wood. The bigger ones, I would throw to the side as I went through the stack, and let 'em dry for another year.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Status
Not open for further replies.