Swallow Falls MD - Sandy Damage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA Fire Bug

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2010
Blair County, PA
I've never seen anything like the damage at the Swallow Falls Canyon Trail near Deep Creek Lake, Maryland. The area contains the oldest and largest Hemlocks in the region. I can't image what the area looked like during and just following the storm. The people at the gift shop said that the heavy snow was the main cause of the uprooted trees. I kept trying to figure out a way to haul out all of that downed wood!
100_8534.JPG 100_8536.JPG

100_8538.JPG 100_8559.JPG

100_8553.JPG

I've never seen anything like the damage at the Swallow Falls Canyon Trail near Deep Creek Lake, Maryland. The area contains the oldest and largest Hemlocks in the region. I can't image what the area looked like during and just following the storm. The people at the gift shop said that the heavy snow was the main cause of the uprooted trees. I kept trying to figure out a way to haul out all of that downed wood!
View attachment 105159 View attachment 105160

View attachment 105161 View attachment 105163

View attachment 105162
Our Hemlocks took a hit on the storm of May 23rd, it looks like a nice spot.

Looks like a nice place, even with the downed trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.