Swamp Loggers on Discovery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guacamole

Nov 12, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This show is killing me! I love to see the people doing their logging, but every once in a while, they go to a pan shot, and there seem to be tonnes of butt ends that were cut off the logs to make the logs fit on a truck. So, here are a few questions:

1) Anybody close to a logging op? Ever scrounge there?
2) Anybody here WORK for a logging op? If so, what do you guys do with the bits you cut off?

Ugggh! Just dreaming about all that wood that (maybe??) goes into a landfill gives me the heebe jeebies!

Guacamole

Guacamole said:
This show is killing me! I love to see the people doing their logging, but every once in a while, they go to a pan shot, and there seem to be tonnes of butt ends that were cut off the logs to make the logs fit on a truck. So, here are a few questions:

1) Anybody close to a logging op? Ever scrounge there?
2) Anybody here WORK for a logging op? If so, what do you guys do with the bits you cut off?

Ugggh! Just dreaming about all that wood that (maybe??) goes into a landfill gives me the heebe jeebies!

Guacamole

Yes.

I heated my house for years on nothing but butt-cuts. Around here big land holding timber companies (Simpson, Weyehauser, Port Blakely, ect) will sell cutting permits for areas recently logged, but they are required by law (or regulation) to leave a certain amount of "woody debris" as a "bug shield." Butt cuts are often left by logging companies as part of the "bug shield" and are often easily loaded without cutting or mechanical assistance. In addition to being easily loaded they have the added virtue of being poorly gaurded.

There is a pretty good low grade wood market in that area for power generation, there is Craven County Biomass to the northeast of where they normally cut and Coastal Carolina Clean Power in Kenanvilles, plus the IP plant. I would be surprised if they left the butt ends in the woods, unless the cost to remove them exceeded the price they could get for them at the power plants.

Up in my area most of the private wood lands owners dont want folks to scronge on their land as its a mangement hassle. Many require million dollar liability insurance in order to do it which keeps most folks from being able to do it. Most woodlands are managed for SFI which requires a certaine percentage of the wood to remain in the woods. I expect that this is also an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.