Swapping insert locations brings up a liner question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
My wood insert is located in the rec-room (newer 22ft SS liner). My propane insert is located on 3rd floor. The scenario is thus: The rec-room only has 7.5 ft ceiling and easy to heat. The living room where the propane insert is located has a sloping ceiling from 8ft to 12ft with a ceiling fan. If I were to relocate the propane insert to the rec-room, could I use the SS liner that is there for the wood insert for the propane insert? It should more than meet code/correct? This would allow me to heat the most difficult part of the house with wood. It would mean new liner (approx 14ft) for the wood insert. And also would mean a new insert (wood) for the living room. In other words, a swap out. In your opinion would both liners have to be replaced or just the one for the new location for the wood insert.? :down: I know, I know, should have done it the right way the first time. If I can convince the "better half"?? This is what I would like to do. It`s just common sense. Don`t need help with what insert to buy,only live 20 klicks from the PE factory. It is the cost of the liner, or liners? I should think that a liner that is rated for a wood insert would be fine for a propane insert? Or is that not the case?

I don't know squat about gas stoves or inserts. Someone should chime in soon hopefully. I think its rated plenty enough. BUT, I don't know if the gas calls for a smaller diameter liner or not.

Hey Hogzwild: (man of steel) living next to that mother sucker. Still gives me the shivers-lol Ya, never thought about the diameter of the pipe. Even though you are living next to a nuke plant, still shows that the wheels are "a turning". Yep, hope someone chimes in on this one. I am so close to getting the better-half to agree on this. So close. Unless it`s gonna cost an arm and a leg. :down: Then it`s gonna be a (no-go). Ya see, I`m retired and she is not, so guess who is controlling the purse strings now. Uh, ha, it ain`t me. Take care my friend, and the best of the season to you and your kindship.

What size liner does the gas unit use? Is a direct vent or a B-Vent? Gas units usually use Alum liners so a SS liner is well beyond what they require, the only issue is size, and you might need two liners for a direct vent.

sonnyinbc said:
Hey Hogzwild: (man of steel) living next to that mother sucker. Still gives me the shivers-lol Ya, never thought about the diameter of the pipe. Even though you are living next to a nuke plant, still shows that the wheels are "a turning". Yep, hope someone chimes in on this one. I am so close to getting the better-half to agree on this. So close. Unless it`s gonna cost an arm and a leg. :down: Then it`s gonna be a (no-go). Ya see, I`m retired and she is not, so guess who is controlling the purse strings now. Uh, ha, it ain`t me. Take care my friend, and the best of the season to you and your kindship.
Sounds like a man that knows what hes talking bout chimed in. I am on the sidelines observing. Yeap still have 1 few brain cells left.
Happy holidays to you and the Mrs. Just schmooze her right and get that thing in ;) The insert I mean ;)

Thanks JTP: not sure what size that liner is , looks like it could be smaller. certainly not larger. And yes, the propane insert is direct vent...not Bvent. Any idea whatsoever of the cost? Not including the insert, got that covered. I know I gotta get the gas guy back and then the Wett Certified Sweep again. need both of those guys to make this happen. Man, if I do this I am gonna go with the Summit,"ya know those guys with there own forum within a forum"--braggards they are ya know. but that is one mighty machine for home heat. suits these high ceilings like we have admirably. Dam`n I hope the better-half continues to be intriged by this concept.? So, is this a huge challenge,? or just a simple swap out?

I would get a new liner kit for the gas insert. They usually only a couple hundred. I think we sell ours for around $250.

Status
Not open for further replies.