Swapping pellets for free .... part 4

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muss

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2008
Embden, Maine
tds
Dave Carr came over this afternoon & dropped off 10 bags & said he'd be back to swap my 2 tons left . What a great guy this fella is. Couldn't have been nicer . That being said, i opened a bag & saw that they looked like "normal" pellets,i.e, lenght & no crumbles. I will be using them later tomorrow & will keep everyone posted . For those of you just reading this post, i'm talking about the Maine Pellets from Athens . He told me the owner has a camp here & then i told him about my being on the town planning board here .lol He also was telling me that some of the help they had last year didn't really care how they worked the machinery to process the pellets. All in all, i'm hoping these pellets work out so's i can stick with local made. In the 4 years i've been up here, the people all seem to work together in crisis' & emergencies . I won't let that pellet dealer in Waterville deminish my fondness for this state & it's people. Will post my results with the new pellets tomorrow night . Shame on me for procrastinating all winter without bitching about them earlier . Anyone wanting that dealer who screwed me down in Waterville, i will be more than happy to post his company's name . Muss

Great to hear that Athens may be solving their problems. Now, if Les Otten doesn't tie up all their production.

muss,

glad to hear things are getting better for you.i bought 2 ton of these in october, and they were the ones from the first batch. yes they were lower grade but my P38 burned them fine ,and it was stil early in the season, so i didnt gripe about them(at least the furnace wasnt running).

in decber at christmas time, i bought another 2 ton(burned the last bag today), and they were much better. there seemed to be a better heat output, although the ash was close to the same. the ash doesnt bother me though, as i clean my stove weekly. so, all together, i have burned 4 to , and just bought a 1/2 ton from my neighbor as they ,like you, have no way to retun them, so they are burning other pellets now. these sat on the back deck since christmas, and she wanted them removed , so i and my checkbook volunteered.

hopefully, the ones you just got will be even better than the december batch i just finished.i spoke with Brenda today, and asked if there was a chance that i could come have a tour of the mill, and see how the pellets are made,and she took my number and said someone would be in touch with me.i know for myself, i will continue to burn Maine Woods, as i fortunately along with my dad had zero problems with them.

good luck, mike

p.s. funny you say you are on the planning board in your town,as i am on the board of selectman in my town( and btw, i had no part in what went on here, i was the one opposed). hope fully i will be re-elected as eletions are next friday. this was my first year , and it was an eye opener for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.