Sweat or NPT Mixing Valve?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Material is 1.25" copper, valve is Caleffi 280. There shouldn't be any problem sweating it, should there? The cartridge is replaceable, so I guess it could be taken out.

Sweat all the way, remove the wax element and open any ball valves. I like to use a wet rag wrapped over the valve while sweating. 1.25" you'll need MAPP gas, propane will not heat a valve that size.

TS

Reactions: Clarkbug
I would think either would be fine, put some unions in in case you ever need to change it.

Thanks for the tips guys. I learned that the Caleffi comes with unions, so it seems to be just a matter of of sweating on the unions. No sweat. :)

Reactions: woodsmaster
I would think either would be fine, put some unions in in case you ever need to change it.

The valve has union connections, pipe it in, loosen unions, remove valve, solder, and re-assemble. Same with the NPT version, which has male NPT tailpieces instead of sweat..

No need to take the valve apart.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-08-02 at 8.34.33 AM.png
    Screen shot 2014-08-02 at 8.34.33 AM.png
    334 KB · Views: 167
  • Screen shot 2014-07-31 at 11.41.56 AM.png
    Screen shot 2014-07-31 at 11.41.56 AM.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: huffdawg
Status
Not open for further replies.