sweeping a 35' high chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snydley

Mar 7, 2008
Dansville NY (upstate)
I've got a 35' high block and square clay liner chimney, with a cleanout door, on my barn, connected to a US Stove company coal/wood furnace. I noticed creasote on the outside top of the clay liner, after burning wood in it for 2 or 3 years. The previous 2 or 3 years I burned coal in it and never swept it. I'm gonna have to sweep it this year before I use it again and was wondering what was the best way to do this and what equipment I should buy. I've done my triple wall metal chimney every year, that is connected to the wood stove in my house, and have 3 lengths of rod for that 15' chimney. That one is no problem at all because I live in a ranch style house and there is just 2 sections of triple wall sticking up out of the roof, so I know how to do that one.
Should I just buy more lengths of rod, and the appropriate brush and sweep it from the cleanout door on the bottom, or from the stovepipe connection in the barn? I don't want to go up on that roof and clean it from there, the pitch is too steep, and it's too high off the ground.
Would it be possible to go back to burning coal in it and using creasote remover with each burn and get rid of it that way? I've never used it so I don't know how well it works. All I know is:
1. I want to do it myself,(because there's no sweeps in the area, and to save cost).
2. I don't feel comfortable climbing that high on a ladder to clean it out.
3. If I can get the right equipment and do it myself from the cleanout door or stovepipe connection I can handle that.
4. I know I've got to do something with it before I burn any more wood in it.

Thanks,
Snyde

Having a pro check it out might not be a bad idea for the first season cleaning. Here are some certified sweeps in your area if you want to get a pro to do the job.:

csia sweeps.PNG

Safe and easy way to clean chimney liner that worked for me and I have a very steep high roof is rent a 2 man bucket lift. I used it when I put my liner in. I rented it again when I cleaned the chimney. This works good for me and just might be what you need. Ace Hardware has them for rent for $109 for 4 hours or $175 all day use. That might seem kinda high for just a short time use for sweeping chimney but once you get it at the house you will find other uses while you have it. You can do alot with a 42 foot lift.

How far off the ground is the clean out door? Is it big enough to get a brush into it? If so, you can clean from the bottom up?

Before I lined my chimney, the cleanout door was too close to the ground to do a bottom up cleaning.

Or if the chimney is in good shape, and you plan to use it for some time, perhaps rent that lift coltfever mentions and install something like this? http://www.chimneyscrubber.com/chimney_scrubber.php

That unit is pretty pricey, but looks interesting. I've seen other home-made systems consisting of a brush with a weight hanging from it that sit atop the chimney and dropped down as needed with a pulley system.

pen

For the first cleaning I would like to have a real eyeball on what has accumulated. If it is light creosote then all is well. If it's stage 3 then not so good. Sweeping from below might not reveal this.

Hiring a sweep is going to be cheaper than any insurance copay or medical bill if you fall. I do sweep (sooteater) my own chimney. But steep pitches and masonry chimneys aren't for me. You got 3 years out of it, maybe you can get another 3 after cleaning?

Thanks for all the tips guys, I'll let you know what I do.
Snyde

Status
Not open for further replies.