Sweeping a liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jocam

Nov 7, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I live in a bungalow and paid a "reputable" sweep to clean my chimney last year. It seemed too easy so I bought a 6 inch poly brush and four rods.
I gave it a go last week. Problem was my liner is 5.5 inches. So I snipped it down with a pair of heavy duty snips. This seemed to work but left me with sore hands.
When I brushed the liner, it seemed snug. I was able to push it down and pull it up with moderate resistance. Pushing up and down like using a clean out tool or toilet brush was not possible. I was concerned that I may/or did dislodge my liner from the top of the insert. The chimney cap and collar were attached with a compression collar and a single screw, I thought it may have been secured similarly at the insert. I gave it two runs up and down then called it quits.
After inspecting from below with one of those extendable, circular inspection mirrors, I was satisfied that the liner was still fixed in place.
Sooooo, how much resistance should there be when sweeping? Am I insane for resizing my brush? Is it too tight given my description? I know it is 5.5 inches or smaller (my brush that is)?
Any other sweeping advice is welcome.

jocam said:
I live in a bungalow and paid a "reputable" sweep to clean my chimney last year. It seemed too easy so I bought a 6 inch poly brush and four rods.
I gave it a go last week. Problem was my liner is 5.5 inches. So I snipped it down with a pair of heavy duty snips. This seemed to work but left me with sore hands.
When I brushed the liner, it seemed snug. I was able to push it down and pull it up with moderate resistance. Pushing up and down like using a clean out tool or toilet brush was not possible. I was concerned that I may/or did dislodge my liner from the top of the insert. The chimney cap and collar were attached with a compression collar and a single screw, I thought it may have been secured similarly at the insert. I gave it two runs up and down then called it quits.
After inspecting from below with one of those extendable, circular inspection mirrors, I was satisfied that the liner was still fixed in place.
Sooooo, how much resistance should there be when sweeping? Am I insane for resizing my brush? Is it too tight given my description? I know it is 5.5 inches or smaller (my brush that is)?
Any other sweeping advice is welcome.
A little bit more snipping of that brush should do it.

Mine is quite tight but goes down with some force. I think you would probably want the brush to have as much friction as possible. If it is near impossible to get it down the liner, a little more trimming will help. Not too much, you can always take a little more off but you can't add..

As for dislodging, it should be screwed with 3 to 4 screws hold the liner to stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.