Sweeping chimney....from the top or bottom.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think someone should develop a chimney sweeping robot with counter rotating brushes of spiral brush design. A motor, situated betwen the two brushes, powers the unit, it has a feeler up top to discern when reaching the chimney top and when it does, the motor reverses and the unit slowly augers it's way down, Chimney pipe thoroughly cleaned in one up/down pass, while you get to do something else with your time.

Any manufacturers want to try it?

TS

Lots can not sweep from the bottom. If you have a straight shot up in the house some wives will object to the mess. Some installations into existing chimneys need to have the whole insert pulled to clean. There are lots of reasons. If you have a safe roof pitch then cleaning down is easier than forcing the brush upward in some installations. Some people do not think ahead about this and they are stuck with roof sweeping.

Techstuf said:
I think someone should develop a chimney sweeping robot with counter rotating brushes of spiral brush design. A motor, situated betwen the two brushes, powers the unit, it has a feeler up top to discern when reaching the chimney top and when it does, the motor reverses and the unit slowly augers it's way down, Chimney pipe thoroughly cleaned in one up/down pass, while you get to do something else with your time.

Any manufacturers want to snag it?

TS

+1. Techstuf in 2012!

Thank you....thank you.......!

I'd take a bow but both my shoes are tied at the moment.

lol.

Neil said:
Whats the difference? I can only really sweep my 6 inch liner from the bottom but I hear so many take the trouble of getting on the roof and sweep down....WHY?

I sweep both of mine from the top down because I don't like a face full of soot and I also want to know the condition of that chimney from top to bottom and to knock the crud out of the caps while I am at it.

My mind boggles sometimes when I see so many people here spend weeks pondering what color enamel to get on their stove but giving not one moments thought to how the chimney they are having installed is going to be cleaned.

My mind boggles sometimes when I see so many people here spend weeks pondering what color enamel to get on their stove but giving not one moments thought to how the chimney they are having installed is going to be cleaned.

LOL

So true!

TS

P.S. Do you know where I can get chimney cleaning rods that match the custom enamel on my stove?

Top, bottom or sideways that darn cap has to be cleaned, too .... so since I'm already up there, might as well clean from the top.

Top to bottom for me...........and i hate heights! my theory is there is always more buildup near the to due to cooling of the chimney gasses and the cap usually needs to be sandblasted...lmao!

OK.. New to the wood burner & sweeping thing.

Any tips on sweeping the liner? 6" SS liner. Or is it so simple a caveman can do it? Just run the brush up and down a few times?

I clean from the bottom too.
Rotating screwed-together poles means they won't come apart, which could be a total drag.

Status
Not open for further replies.