Sweeping the Chimney on a T6

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjames

Sep 9, 2010
Upstate NY
Do I have to disconnect the pipe and move the stove?

I want to go straight down from the roof, but not sure how to get all the crude out of the stove itself.

Does anyone here clean their stovepipe without disconnecting theit T6 and is it adisable?

My pipe ius a straight run about 13-14 foot of pipe.

No clean-out, no elbows.

Help a lazy woodburner out.

After splitting all that wood by hand, i just don't have the energy to move the stove. :)

Just pull the baffle, then you can sweep straight down into the stove. To remove the baffle, pull out the retainer pin at the back, top center of the stove. Lift the baffle up in the back first so that it clears the air supply tube. A couple more things to note when doing this. The baffle will be heavier than you think and it needs a new gasket where it mates with the secondary air supply tube before replacing. Gaskets can be obtained from your dealer or you can make your own from some 3/8" gasket rope.

You may want cover the air channel with a rag, it is in the rear of the stove after you get the baffle off, this is to prevent the possibility of chimney crud in the air channel. Forwarning, the baffle is a bit heavy harder to place back into position than it is to remove.

If the last piece pipe is of the telescoping variety, it may be possible to remove that piece and vac off the top of the baffle after sweeping rather than removing the baffle.

Good thought madison, I forgot to mention that. Stuff a rag in the secondary air supply before cleaning the flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.