Sweet Gum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oknev

Jan 21, 2011
TX
Lightening hit a huge sweet gum tree we have and knocked it down. I have read that sweet gums are hard to split and they smolder. Curious to know if anybody burns sweet gum out there?
Thanks

If the choice boils down to hauling it to the dump, letting it rot in place, or processing it into firewood, it's simple to me.

No matter how hard wood is to split, a noodled groove can make it much easier. Or rented hydraulic as a last resort.

Cookie cut the whole thing! :cheese:

You might get into this, gotta ask yourself how bad you want that gum wood.

Attachments

• IMAGE_110.jpg
    IMAGE_110.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 8,864
Keep the stuff you don't have to split. For the rest of it your call but it is a lot of work for what you will get out of it. If you are short on wood then go for it. I split by hand and would not think of trying to split it.

Double post

smokinjay said:
Cookie cut the whole thing! :cheese:

Thats what I would do, I do that to some of the gnarlier rounds I have, cut them 5 or so inches thick and throw them into the oddball pile, I use that pile for shoulder season.

Here cookie cookie or this

Attachments

• SDC10278.jpg
    SDC10278.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 182
  • SDC10279.jpg
    SDC10279.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 185
cptoneleg said:
Here cookie cookie or this

Got saw use it...Funner than a splitter any day! :lol:

Status