Swept chimney-1st year of 24/7 burning with not very seasoned wood - What do you think? - PIC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2007
We, ....meaning hubby went up on the roof and did the sweeping. I remeasured the chimney height with the clarification of PE's min. height I found here.....from base doesnt mean from hearth up. Anyway, we were only running 12 total feet. Our wood was said to be seasoned but hissed, sizzled and you could see some water coming out the end. Anyway, I was prepaired for the worst and hoped for the best. It was all oak.

All in all it totalled about 3-4 cups. Of course it wasnt the nice powdery stuff that you get with nice dry seasoned wood....it was creosote shiney and black. Yes, most of it was found in the last 1' of pipe. So while up on the roof we added another 3ft section, we re-caulked the storm collar and went up the seam about 6" (thank you to whoever posted that causing leaks on selkirk/supervent pipe) and then decided to split a piece of wood that we gathered last fall......it was a big hunk of red oak and it was dry.....seasoned! I dont think Ive ever had dry wood ever in any of my wood deliveries. I really wish I had a moisture meter just to know the % but it didnt feel wet to the touch and when I hit the 2 together it made a nice clink rather than clunk.

So Im thinking that the added 3' and I have dry wood .....and Ive leared a few things about reloads ect.......I am really optimistic that my sweep will be much cleaner next year!

Thanks to everyone for all of the knowledge, insight, tips and tricks found here on hearth.com!!!!!

PS - I think I will try EW burning and see if I can get even longer burns since I dont need all the btus the summit puts out.

I cut all of my wood to 18" since PEs summit brochure says it takes 20" logs.....hoping that wasnt another mistake

Attachments

• misc 007.jpg
    misc 007.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 870
I'm no expert, but I would say that's not alot of creosote. Also, your firebricks look clean and tan in color ( a sign of proper operation).
Oh! you gonna have fun this winter with dry wood.

Doesn't look bad at all. People can get away with slightly wet wood if you just burn a little hotter and wait longer to turn the air down. You will have an even better winter this year with that dry wood.

Sounds like you are reading up and doing it right. Unless you truly get 1 year ahead in the wood department, you are going to have some issues with a bit of moisture in the wood here and there.

No real worries on that creosote. That is about what I got recently from my sweeping of last years wood. Most of it in the final 4 feet or so on a liner with no insulation with an outside chimney. Yes - I do heat the 13x13 flu a bit but that is ok for now...

Yeah, we cut about 10 cords last summer for this winter and the following. We are always going to be 2-3 years ahead and well seasoned. I really didnt have a choice on last years wood since we purchased stove in sept and had to buy wood. Now I cant wait to burn and see the difference! Im glad that isnt a whole lot....I was thinking that it WAS.

LOL I used to get double that out three times a season with my old stove! Dont look bad at all.

Yep, I agree with the above post. You are good to go. Congrats.

I have a Summit and 18 inches is perfect. I load North South and at 20 inches its almost touching the glass. At 18 inches it fits inside the lip on the front of the stove so you can actually lay the wood on the floor of the stove.

That's not alot of creosote. I got about the same out of mine, except it was brown and flakey.

Not bad and you said it was mostly in the last 1' of pipe that is where it is almost unavoidable because the gasses can cool rapidly there. 3-4 cups for a full season you were doing it right or really close it right anyway.

I cut my wood @ 18" for my summit as well that just seams to be the right length.

Status
Not open for further replies.