Swept the chimney today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wingsfan

Feeling the Heat
Dec 1, 2008
Jackson,Mi.
Been burning the 30nc for a month now. I finally picked up some brush poles for the nylon brush I bought with the pipe. I have 26ft of outside pipe and after cleaning , I got about 2 table spoons of cleanings. Not sure if it is all creosote or just other build up. Does more than just creosote make up what you get when you clean?Anyway it all looked like the size of sugar granuals just black,so I am pretty happy with that. Been burning a mix ox ash and box elder mostly.

Reactions: raybonz
Been burning the 30nc for a month now. I finally picked up some brush poles for the nylon brush I bought with the pipe. I have 26ft of outside pipe and after cleaning , I got about 2 table spoons of cleanings. Not sure if it is all creosote or just other build up. Does more than just creosote make up what you get when you clean?Anyway it all looked like the size of sugar granuals just black,so I am pretty happy with that. Been burning a mix ox ash and box elder mostly.

Thats what I get very fine almost powdery coffee grounds, I dont know if its creosote or just soot.

If it isn't shiny it is first stage creosote, aka soot, the stuff everybody gets. If it is shiny granules it is stage two, the stuff ya don't like but will get some of. Especially up around the cap.

If it isn't shiny it is first stage creosote, aka soot, the stuff everybody gets. If it is shiny granules it is stage two, the stuff ya don't like but will get some of. Especially up around the cap.

Stage three is glazed on creosote no one wants that.

For stage 4 you should call professional help: 911.

Status
Not open for further replies.