Swing setting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DannMarr

Nov 29, 2009
Scranton
I have a Castille insert and a Lux thermostat. The thermostat works fine but inconsistent when using the swing options. It seems to me that this insert needs a direct hit of 24V, not a slow gradual feed that the swing does. The manual indicates to put the ? (another word for swing) on the lowest setting. Does anyone else have this problem?

When the manual is talking about putting the ? at the lowest setting, they are talking about the old manual thermostats with the little arm that you can slide around in a circle. That's a rheostat that's supposed to be pushed to the lowest setting. The Castile is NOT looking for 24 volts or any other voltage. It is just looking for a closed contact. If I'm wrong, correct me Kap. The swing doesn't gradually feed voltage to the stove. It just gives you a range over which the stove will cycle. If you set it for a 2 degree swing and your temp is set for 70, the stove will turn on at 68 and shut off at 72.

I love that white Castile!

Thanks! I have it set at 9 as some have suggested to get that 2 degree swing. At 70 degrees set point, sometimes it will turn on at 68, 67 and even down to 66! It never starts at 68 consistently. I set it at 5 and it works the same as 1, no difference. I thought the swing works as a potentiometer, that is why I assumed it was a voltage issue.
Castile is NOT looking for 24 volts or any other voltage
But when the contacts are closed in the thermostat, doesn't 24 volts trigger the inserts relay contacts to allow 110 to supply the insert? Isn't the relay rated?

For the last question, yes, I would assume that the relay is rated to handle 24 volts across its contacts or electronic circuit. Depending on the outside temperature/heat load put on the stove and how long it takes to get the room blower back on, I see on my stoves that the temp can drop an additional degree or two before the stove catches up. I'm not familiar with the numbers (9, 5, etc) on your thermostat. Mine, a RiteTemp, reads out directly as degrees of swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.