swisher logsplitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

squib

Oct 17, 2008
east oh
did a search but found nothing. anyone have any xperience with these splitters ? what about the belt drive system, good or bad ?

thanks

neighbor has one. In theory, you can release the belt for cold start, but I don't think he has ever done it. Starts ok to single digits F range, then I prefer not to be outside.

The attached review noted the pump was made in china. I think that is the 'dynamic' brand copy of haldex barnes. I would prefer to avoid that, especially cautious given that it is a belt drive and side loads the bearings. I'd be nervous about quality.

has a lot of panels vibrating and noises, but it seems to work fine. He uses in mostly vertical. I used horizontal but haven't used that one in several years. I think the bed was lower than I prefer, can't recall for sure.
Would I buy his? no. As I recall, it didn't stand out as a dud, but not as a shining star either. the wedge was a casting, rough and too steep angled. Lots of other small features I didn't like: hose routings, valve handle location, etc.

But to be fair, check out the one in question. My neighbors is about 10 years old and they may have changed. For instance, I think his was a Barnes pump, not Dynamic.

kcj

thanks for ther info. i will check out the troy built & huskee, from lowes. home depot & tsc.

recommendations ??

I do have a newer Swisher splitter its a 34 ton with a 12.5 Briggs & Stratton engine with electric start. The splitter is nice, it has split huge oak rounds with no problem at all. I bought the splitter used from a guy who owned a lawn care service and was closing shop. This was one of the main reasons for buying this splitter. He only used the splitter 3 times it looked brand new and he sold it to me for $800.00. SO I did get a steal on this thing, but it is worth every penny brand new. I split about 8-9 cords of hardwood so far this year. with no issues I never had to use the cold start feature as of yet .

herman said:
thanks for ther info. i will check out the troy built & huskee, from lowes. home depot & tsc.

recommendations ??

Search on splitter shopping, you will find all sorts of discussion about this... All the brands seem to have people that like them, and horror stories about problems. I don't think there are any of the low price range splitters that are all that much better (or worse) than the others - I'd shop based on trying to find the feature set you like best and / or what you can get the best deal on, and not worry all that much about brands.

Gooserider

I have a 3 year old 28 ton Swisher I bought off Craigslist for $400. I love this machine. In my opinion this unit is much better built than a Troy Built or Huskee, the Ram looks much beefier and it is made in the USA. Have not stopped it yet.

I bought my 28 ton Swisher splitter new in October of '06. Great machine. I have not owned any other so cannot really compare but this splitter does the job. No problems. I use the ez start belt feature in cold weather and it works fine also. I burn about 5-6 full cords a year and split a lot of it.
A year later I went and bought a big Swisher Snow Blower. No complaints there either. Seems well built. In fact I started her up today for the first time this year. Pushed the primer bulb 3x, hit the electric start button and she popped right off and sounded good. We're expecting 10-14" by tomorrow.

I have the 22 ton model. Briggs 875 series intek engine works nice. I would have preferred a Honda engine, but would have had to traveled an extra hour to get one and paid an extra $200. Ram is cast steel and unliked one mentioned above, is nicely finished. No problems with it what so ever. Z

Status
Not open for further replies.