Swisher LS12534H12V - Do I say "I do"?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotul8e2

Minister of Fire
Feb 2, 2008
Ozarks
I was in to pick up some bar and 2-cycle oil at a local farm store today, and they had one of these: http://www.logsplittersworld.com/p31-Swisher-34-Ton-Log-Splitter-with-Electric-Start.html
It is $1799. I did not think to ask if that included the hydraulic oil.

I gotta tell you, the electric start caught my eye. I am getting to an age where the thought of trying to pull the starter rope on a 300+ cc engine which has been left idle for six months is not appealing. And that price is several hundred dollars less than anything else I have seen with electric start.

So - is this something to jump on, or is it just an ok deal?

I see where Log Splitters Direct has it for the same price, with free shipping and no sales tax. I'd have to pay sales tax - about $110. So maybe that is not all that great a deal.

Anyone got any thoughts about this unit at this price? There are lots of other options available at $1800. None with electric start that I know of, though.

jotul8e2 said:
None with electric start that I know of, though.

Both of the splitters that I have are electric start and I LOVE it. Looks like they are darn proud of that splitter. It seems a bit hefty on the price tag.

jotul8e2 said:
I see where Log Splitters Direct has it for the same price, with free shipping and no sales tax. I'd have to pay sales tax - about $110. So maybe that is not all that great a deal.

Anyone got any thoughts about this unit at this price? There are lots of other options available at $1800. None with electric start that I know of, though.

I know we had the option to order Iron & Oak splitters with the e-start option. Added a couple hundred to the price and since we sold more 22 ton units with the 6HP Robin than any others we never bothered to get one with the estart. That 6 HP Robin is a "pinky start" anyways. FWIW: Briggs engines tend to pull much harder than others of similar size. My 9HP Robin on my splitter is an easy tug too. The 9HP Vanguards (have a couple of them around too.) felt like I was pulling over a Chevy 350 in comparison.

As far as the price. that's a lot of beans for a splitter running a vert. crank Briggs (that's not even a top-line Briggs). Plus the 22-second cycle time would drive me wild. 5" cylinder really needs a 22 GPM pump.

For $1900 beans - Here ya go.

http://www.buyacehardware.com/26-ton-log-splitter-robin.html

Status
Not open for further replies.