Switching Bars and Chains on a Stihl 180C to Oregon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroom Man

Sep 6, 2008
Eastern Ontario
I am looking for a temporary solution. I have 3 chains for the Stihl. The last sharpening by the shop was disappointing. I would have taken them back but the shop is not close and time is short. I hand filed them and got pretty good results but they seem to dull faster than professionally sharpened chains.

Dirty wood is the issue.

I have an Oregon bar and 3 sharp chains from a defunct Poulan Pro.

Can this bar be used on the Stihl?

The Stihl uses the quick chain tensioner system to mount the bar and chain (no double stud and nut) just a glorified wingnut. While I prefer the older system, many of the newer saws especially small ones use this system.

The tensioner gear is made for the Stihl bar. The tensioner gear has a small bracket with a screw that fits into the bar's holes. That bracket does not quite fit into the Oregon bar. I can mount the bar and tighten it with only one leg of the tensioner gear bracket being mounted in a hole on the bar instead of 2; but I am concerned about the safety and longevity of this solution.

The saw appears to work with the new bar and chain but I'd feel safer with a proper two hole mount. The cover does not close all the way as it should.

Should I drill out the bar hole to allow the bracket to fit?

As long as you don't care about the bar, go for it. Make sure the chain fits the sprocket correctly before putting it on.

If it working ok then I would drill the bar and make it better and fit right.

I drilled it out and it works like a charm now. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.