Switching out stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trguitar

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2011
Harvard, MA
We recently moved, and the new house has a Jotul F 400 Castine which is too small to heat the house. I did bring the Lopi Freedom from the old house, and I'm thinking about swapping them. The long-term plan is to put an Ideal Steel in, but the hearth needs to be built out, so I'm thinking I can use the Freedom temporarily. I've done the measurements, and it will fit.

The Castine is hooked up to a masonry chimney, and there is already a liner with a block-off plate.

I've never done an install before. I consider myself handy, and am willing to give it a shot. I just need some directions.

You can see pics of the current setup in the following thread:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/ideal-steel-install.155256/

Thanks!

Alex

Sounds like you really want to have the IS in there. Lorin has shown you an option. Did that measure out?

You can do it. You might need a SS elbow, no biggie. They also make a flush kit for the freedom to move it back about 4". How far back is the centerline of the flue liner from the face of the fireplace?

Yes, Lorin and I spoke and the height of the fireplace opening will not be an issue. I got a quote from an excellent mason in town for $350 to do the extension. For that amount it's worth it to me to have the extra room in back to access the T. He's backed up with work, though, and can't get to it for a while.

Centerline of the flue liner to the face of the fireplace is roughly 14" (give or take 1/2"). I'd rather not use the flush kit if I don't have to.

Yes, Lorin and I spoke and the height of the fireplace opening will not be an issue. I got a quote from an excellent mason in town for $350 to do the extension. For that amount it's worth it to me to have the extra room in back to access the T. He's backed up with work, though, and can't get to it for a while.

Centerline of the flue liner to the face of the fireplace is roughly 14" (give or take 1/2"). I'd rather not use the flush kit if I don't have to.
14" is a lot. Depending on the height of the lintel, you may need the flush kit. Mine had one, it still rocked out!

Status
Not open for further replies.